diy solar

diy solar

Victron MPPT RS SCCs (Will review)

I don’t even really need one, but I want one. The more I see of Victron the more I like.
Come over to the dark (blue) side Gavin, we are your Father!!!!!!!
(PS: You'll find a need for one once you have it... if you have a building/roof with more than one side, you'll find a use for it)

Last edited:
Great for the toy hauler, one string down the west slanting side of the roof, one for the east sloping side, one for down the middle and one for a portable ground mount array.

Last edited:
If you can get to that minimum PV voltage of 80 volts then this unit can't be beat, I think that's the deciding factor on a lot of smaller, or RV based system, the need to panel up to at least 80VDC. Even with residential or commercial panels, that's at least two 72 cell units and that's a tight fit on a VW van. ?

"Open circuit voltage (VOC): 220 V"

"Open circuit voltage (VOC): 220 V"
HA!!! but damn, really? for 202.00, somethings wrong with this picture, even if they WERE in stock.

1679360535976.png

HA!!! but damn, really? for 202.00, somethings wrong with this picture, even if they WERE in stock.

View attachment 140551

"Max power current: 2.38 A"

It's kind of nice not needing fuses. When inverters were small, one or two strings. Larger, 2 or 3 MPPT inputs.
With these panels you practically need a fuse per 440W panel. Maybe per 2 panel string, depending on MPPT max voltage.

I find the higher amperage panels a bit annoying. MPPT inputs of newer Sunny Boy are about 12A, so with 10A panels you can't effectively put two strings on them. It looks like with older 6A or 7A panels, I could do 2 strings per MPPT x 3 MPPT and get 15kW of panels on a 7.7kW inverter. Each pair of strings being two orientations. That's the plan for my sister's house. All with a single 40A PV breaker.

Things to keep in mind with that controller that aren't obvious from spec sheet:
  1. Each MPPT tracker is limited to 4000W output (you can over panel but 4000W is max a tracker can contribute to charging)
  2. The array Voc to a tracker must be less than 8 * your battery float voltage
  3. It states you are limited to 20A Isc in spec sheet but that is technically not true. It has reverse polarity protection up to 20A but you can connect up to 30A Isc array to a tracker.

They could grow the market in the US by getting more of their products UL listed.

Last edited:
If a Victron SCC has its FETs fail shorted, does that connect PV to the battery? Or are they isolated by an HF transformer?
That seems to be an issue for some products, and at least some UL Listed SCC are protected against over-charging battery.

They could grow the market in the US by getting more of their products UL listed.
Why, so the prices raise for all of us to get the certification? No thanks ? the world’s a lot bigger place than the USA and I’d rather see a great product reasonably priced than a overpriced one covered in 100’s of different cert stickers that mean nothing… if anyone wants to know the value of a govt agency signing off on your safety, there’s a small town in Ohio about to have Dioxin mutated babies that would be happy to let you know how it’s working out for them and the certified tracks running through their town as well as a large city in South Carolina full of people paying speeding tickets on calibrated/certified radar/laser guns.

Last edited:
Back