diy solar

diy solar

Warming the batteries and stability

jvbutter01

My question or advice needed is. Mom n Dad live 100% off grid. 100deg in summer time mid 20's during winter. He has solar, and backup generator for alternative power. Generator is wired to the Sol Ark 12k-P controller. He had FLA for years in a home made 4ft x 4ft plywood box w/ foam board insulated, they were fading, so he upgraded 3yr ago. Now he has some 6v 100a AGM batteries on the ground/non covered. On my last trip. I noticed 2 batteries bloated. I am looking at switching out to LiFePo 48v 16s bank.

I travel up 1x a month to check on them and help out around the house. Worried about reliability, yes they have generator backup.

2 routes to go for swapping out his batteries. 1) online from X supplier they have 48v heated cold weather rated all in one battery or 2) build Lith battery bank form 280a cells add on a BMS and add on some type of heater. Option 1 seems to be better piece of mind, vs option 2. Option 1 is $4k Option 2 would be much less ($1600 battery+$200 bms + $200 for heaters) $2k +/-

The question is, any input on which is better? Is ready made battery bank any more reliable?

Some simple heating pads and something like this would be able to warm the batteries no problem.

I have that exact same unit, and it works very well.

These are the warming pads that I have, they also work very well. They make those pads for different voltages and sizes, but they have no regulation of their own, so the controller is a must.

https://a.co/d/2xKKgVq

@

timselectric sure at $4k id hope so.

A.Justice

Yes that controler would be good idea. Will had a vid from last year where he had some big pad he put on a sheet of sheet metal. I think that would work well for 16s

wopachop

No the whole system with Solar is out in the shop.

Back