diy solar

diy solar

Warning about "PAPOOL LiFePO4 Official Store": Batteries are poorly assembled and pose a real fire hazard

PyroRider

I need to release my anger again.
Today I further disassembled my problematic "100Ah" 48V battery from (today's Name) "PAPOOL LiFePO4 Official Store" (they keep changing names more often than I change my underwear).
The battery had some problems from the beginning, i.e. one cell that is in a much worse state than the others leading to early BMS-overvoltage shutdowns and some more, the seller always denied everything (can attach some screenshots if wanted, I chatted over half a year so there are quite some messages).
Today I disassembled the battery pack partially as I am planning to measure the real cell capacity, the best I managed to get in my Solar-ESS was about 80 to 85Ah on a battery that was sold as 100Ah with up to 105Ah. They actually did not remove the cells QR codes, the code showed the cells as CATL cells, when I bought the battery pack the cells were one year old according to the code. The model code is 35, which according to a listing I found with a photo is a 114Ah CATL cell, but not a LiFePO4 but NMC instead (more risk of fire and explosion compared to LiFePO4, also sold as LiFePO4 and not Li-NMC) (The code says its LiFePO4 but the only CATL cell that has the modelcode 35 is an NMC cell). Furthermore I removed the rubber on one cell terminal where a 6awg lead was attached and to my suprise I was able to move around the cable lug freely, so the rubber was the only thing holding it together.
They have many great reviews as you are pushed to write a review before noticing the flaws. Also the shunt in the fake seplos BMS has ~15% difference to a Benning Multimeter and Victron Smartshunt, thats why the BMS tells you the battery has 100Ah and more.
And they do not pay taxes on import (I'll attach a screenshot with the response from the seller to my question about the import tax etc(this was before we had 0% tax on PV parts in germany)).
More concering things about the insides:
  • The cells are bloated
  • have an internal resistance of ~30mOhm (should be less than 1mOhm) and matching with the low remaining capacity pretty safe are used
  • there are dried up stains of a liquid
  • all 4 temp sensors are glue to one spot
  • 2 100A connections were screwed one half on the epoxy plate and the other half on the solder of the bms connection (its a wonder that battery didnt light up on fire).
  • Glued shut multiple cell vents
  • loose metal/solder parts flying around
  • the cells are scratched, look like they had 2 big stickers peeled off,...
In my case I only had low currents going in and out, but I've seen product reviews including photos from people who use 3 or 4 of those batterys in a 15kW victron system which definitly would result in a fire as soon as the battery terminals have heated up enough

I need to release my anger again.
Today I further disassembled my problematic "100Ah" 48V battery from (today's Name) "PAPOOL LiFePO4 Official Store" (they keep changing names more often than I change my underwear).
The battery had some problems from the beginning, i.e. one cell that is in a much worse state than the others leading to early BMS-overvoltage shutdowns and some more, the seller always denied everything (can attach some screenshots if wanted, I chatted over half a year so there are quite some messages).
Today I disassembled the battery pack partially as I am planning to measure the real cell capacity, the best I managed to get in my Solar-ESS was about 80 to 85Ah on a battery that was sold as 100Ah with up to 105Ah. They actually did not remove the cells QR codes, the code showed the cells as CATL cells, when I bought the battery pack the cells were one year old according to the code. The model code is 35, which according to a listing I found with a photo is a 114Ah CATL cell, but not a LiFePO4 but NMC instead (more risk of fire and explosion compared to LiFePO4, also sold as LiFePO4 and not Li-NMC) (The code says its LiFePO4 but the only CATL cell that has the modelcode 35 is an NMC cell). Furthermore I removed the rubber on one cell terminal where a 6awg lead was attached and to my suprise I was able to move around the cable lug freely, so the rubber was the only thing holding it together.
They have many great reviews as you are pushed to write a review before noticing the flaws. Also the shunt in the fake seplos BMS has ~15% difference to a Benning Multimeter and Victron Smartshunt, thats why the BMS tells you the battery has 100Ah and more.
And they do not pay taxes on import (I'll attach a screenshot with the response from the seller to my question about the import tax etc(this was before we had 0% tax on PV parts in germany)).
More concering things about the insides:
  • The cells are bloated
  • have an internal resistance of ~30mOhm (should be less than 1mOhm) and matching with the low remaining capacity pretty safe are used
  • there are dried up stains of a liquid
  • all 4 temp sensors are glue to one spot
  • 2 100A connections were screwed one half on the epoxy plate and the other half on the solder of the bms connection (its a wonder that battery didnt light up on fire).
  • Glued shut multiple cell vents
  • loose metal/solder parts flying around
  • the cells are scratched, look like they had 2 big stickers peeled off,...
In my case I only had low currents going in and out, but I've seen product reviews including photos from people who use 3 or 4 of those batterys in a 15kW victron system which definitly would result in a fire as soon as the battery terminals have heated up enough
Wow, that's not good! 😡

Here a couple pictures of the batteries insides. Btw, they used the same 25mm2/M6 lug for every connection, for 1x6AWG, 2x8AWG, ...

Attachments

• 20240504_211106.jpg
    20240504_211106.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 11
  • 20240504_212359.jpg
    20240504_212359.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 10
  • 20240504_212432.jpg
    20240504_212432.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 9
  • 20240504_212553.jpg
    20240504_212553.jpg