diy solar

We did a load test on the new EG4 6000EX inverter

SignatureSolarJames

Try Solar, the Grid will always take you back
Just a couple notes:
-The loads on the 2 unit parallel test were not blind unbalanced
-The one unit test was run long enough to demonstrate continuous capacity

Let us know what the team could go further on next time if y'all get any ideas

I really wish I had been patient and gotten either this or the other 120v variant, instead of the LVX6048WP at nearly twice the price.

Just a couple notes:
-The loads on the 2 unit parallel test were not blind unbalanced
-The one unit test was run long enough to demonstrate continuous capacity

Let us know what the team could go further on next time if y'all get any ideas

I made a remark on youtube about the testing method.
I also included a remark that no info was given if the compressor was started empty or with air in the tank.
You (owner/founder of Signature solar) replied on youtube with
James Showalter: It’s actually harder to start a compressor without pressure
I made 2 replies with a link to https://www.about-air-compressors.com/compressor-will-only-start-with-little-or-no-pressure-in-tank/
where it is made clear that most compressors have a mechanism (that might fail) to prevent the compressor motor ever started against compression.
My first reply was on my phone with the youtube app, so i thought something went wrong and re-did it on my desktop in a browser.
But it got deleted again!
So I don't understand your reply on youtube in the first place, and now twice my reply to you was removed.

I watched at 2:17 full screen at .25 speed.

Looks like the light may have blinked a bit but compressor starts, that's rough. Not bad.

Air compressors just need a compression release like big dirtbikes to make them easier to start.

I also included a remark that no info was given if the compressor was started empty or with air in the tank.

I made 2 replies with a link to https://www.about-air-compressors.com/compressor-will-only-start-with-little-or-no-pressure-in-tank/
where it is made clear that most compressors have a mechanism (that might fail) to prevent the compressor motor ever started against compression.
My first reply was on my phone with the youtube app, so i thought something went wrong and re-did it on my desktop in a browser.
So I don't understand your reply on youtube in the first place, and now twice my reply to you was removed.
Avoid putting a link on YouTube. The YouTube algorithm sees it and if your not the op, more often than not deletes it after a while. Try making it an un clickable link like DOT COM at the end instead of .com

Avoid putting a link on YouTube. The YouTube algorithm sees it and if your not the op, more often than not deletes it after a while. Try making it an un clickable link like DOT COM at the end instead of .com
Thanks for the tip. didn't know.
Did that, no www, replaced the ".com" to DOT COM and then a space with the rest of the URL and within 30 seconds was removed.
Grrrrr....

Yeah, I know better than to try to start my compressor at high pressure. It’ll trip my breaker till I’ve used it down below 60%. To not know this means not much time around them. My inverters won’t care, plenty of punch.

Air compressors just need a compression release like big dirtbikes to make them easier to start.

BTW, air compressors DO have a head-pipe pressure relief valve which is built into the on/off pressure switch which opens the relief valve when the dry contacts open (when motor shuts off by the pressure switch) and lets the pressure out of the pipe between the compressor head and the one-way tank valve mounted right into the tank inlet.

Granted, this may only add a second or two worth of no-pressure head start before it builds up the pressure resistance and builds back up to tank pressure. But it helps surge by some amount.

EDIT:
Also, if you unplug the compressor before it has a chance to shut off by the pressure switch, it does not release the pressure in the head-pipe. You have to turn of the compressor using the power on/off lever on the pressure switch so it will invoke the proper head-pipe pressure release.

And you can see in their video, they are turning the compressor on and off by power/pressure switch in the normal way, so it should be invoking the head-pipe pressure relief each time they shut it off.

Last edited:
Was just on the Sig Solar site and saw this and did a double take, a new 6kw split phase inverter? I asked @RichardFromEG4 a few months ago when the EG4 6500ex came out, if a split phase inverter was in the works and he gave me a sly smile emoji, so my reply was, "so I guess that means a yes?". And here we are..

I was planning on getting the 6500, but now this one is out. Hmm.

I wonder if I can charge an EV with this inverter.
EV's are considered an easy load:
-they have an almost perfect power factor (almost no inductive/capacitive characteristics)
-no peak: they start low and ramp up usage.
It is the EVSE that determines how much energy is accepted by the EV.
The J1772 standard (North America) starts at 6 amps (@240 volt) and you could set usage in 1 amp increments.
It is just very power hungry because they have such a large battery capacity,
As long as you have PV/DC power hooked up it shouldn't be a problem.
Of course, when you are charging and you have the inverter loaded for eg 80% and something else kicks in, let's hope the in rush power doesn't top the remaining 20%

See this article for some more insight

Please publish full details on the bypass relay.
I'm assuming it has one, there is no mention of an ATS=automatic transfer switch in any of the doco I've seen.

Back