diy solar

diy solar

Weekend only need for small cabin in Wisconsin (gets cold here).

.....I don't think those solar panels are going to work for your 24v system, but I'll leave that for the myriad of experts on this forum.

They'll work fine if put in series. I personally would buy a single larger 300w+ panel though, as they can be had cheap these days and are better quality (more efficient) panels. Guy on my local CL sells brand new 340w Sunpowers for $110.

You're also gonna need some fusing and disconnect switches for your project, @salzbj01 . Also be careful that you connect the battery bank to the charge controller before you connect the solar panel(s) to the controller. I agree with @SolarRat that a single 300+ watt panel would be a swell way to go! I wish I had a local dealer selling inexpensive 300w+ panels. Also be super careful not to reverse polarity when making connections to the charge controller. On my charge controller the wires go +--+ and not +-+-.

You're also gonna need some fusing and disconnect switches for your project, @salzbj01 . Also be careful that you connect the battery bank to the charge controller before you connect the solar panel(s) to the controller. I agree with @SolarRat that a single 300+ watt panel would be a swell way to go! I wish I had a local dealer selling inexpensive 300w+ panels. Also be super careful not to reverse polarity when making connections to the charge controller. On my charge controller the wires go +--+ and not +-+-.
So, I do have fusing. I have seen some disconnects, but am unsure as to what type to get etc. My panels showed up tonight, so I guess I'll go this route for now. I really appreciate the advice and the reminder about the batteries before the panels. I'm guessing that gets missed often. I think a big label with reminder on my board will be helpful!

As far as the controller goes with polarity etc, I will get things laid out on board. I'll do a draft little drawing and if I have questions I will post here. I will also be setting up her in town as a dry run. I will post pictures for you guys to take a look at what I have before I go live.

I really appreciate all the input from all of you and hope to be able to help others in the near future!

Back