diy solar

diy solar

What do you use for asphalt shingle roof penetration?

inowhavesolar

I found 'EZ Solar JB Rooftop PV Junction Box' on Amazon, from a YT recommendation. $60. This can't be the only solution? What are some other options when needing to transition from roof into attic space?

Conduit and flashing?
I used these (or something similar):
Wow. That certainly is a lot cheaper than the EZ box. How do you securely/water tight the wires through the conduit on the roof side? I guess I still need some sort of junction box on the roof where the wires from the panels come into; wago connectors to go from PV wire to standard THHN, then out more conduit into the flashing and into attic?

I used a Soladeck for the transition from PV cables to interior wiring for my Enphase system which had two strings. It had room for connectors for the change in wire type and a convenient place to check voltage when on the roof. On an earlier installation where I only had one circuit I used an LB and roof flashing as described earlier.

Wow. That certainly is a lot cheaper than the EZ box. How do you securely/water tight the wires through the conduit on the roof side? I guess I still need some sort of junction box on the roof where the wires from the panels come into; wago connectors to go from PV wire to standard THHN, then out more conduit into the flashing and into attic?
EZ solar is fewer steps and lower profile.

I bought three kinds and ended up using EZ solar. Paying an extra $40 to simplify was worth it for me.

Could be worse, you could be paying for soladeck or using one of those expensive no flashing types.

Wow. The Soladeck is more than 2x the EZ Solar, and the Quick Mount is about $20 more (all three on amazon). Thanks for the feedback everyone; think I'll go with EZ for, well, easy-ness. :)

I used the EZ Solar JB Rooftop options... yes the price sucks, but you need to make sure this is water tight... I wouldnt rig something up with the pipe flashing unless you know exactly what you're doing. The EZ box fit perfectly under my panels and was pretty easy to install.

1715468428524.png

I used the EZ Solar JB Rooftop options... yes the price sucks, but you need to make sure this is water tight... I wouldnt rig something up with the pipe flashing unless you know exactly what you're doing. The EZ box fit perfectly under my panels and was pretty easy to install.

View attachment 214815
This is bad. Mount the waterproof junction box to the rail system that your panels are bolted to. Panels connect to the trunk cable that feeds into this box. Then use specific sized wire from your electrical panel in grey pvc conduit through the roof using standard pipe flashing and into the junction box with standard waterproof connectors. Connect the wires from trunk cable to the wires from electrical panel inside the junction box, screw the waterproof lid on and your done with roof top connections.

This is bad. Mount the waterproof junction box to the rail system that your panels are bolted to. Panels connect to the trunk cable that feeds into this box. Then use specific sized wire from your electrical panel in grey pvc conduit through the roof using standard pipe flashing and into the junction box with standard waterproof connectors. Connect the wires from trunk cable to the wires from electrical panel inside the junction box, screw the waterproof lid on and your done with roof top connections.
None of this is my setup. I didn’t have rails in this area (SnapNrack top speed) and the entire wire went into house and down into inverters from the string.

View attachment 214815
This is good not bad. Only recommendation I have is have a second Jbox in the attic that's accessible and that's where you transition from PV wire to THHN. Use the box on the roof only as a means to enter the building and remain weathertight.

Then use specific sized wire from your electrical panel in grey pvc conduit through the roof using standard pipe flashing and into the junction box with standard waterproof connectors.

The roof penetration and all interior runs must be metal, not plastic to meet code, that why I and others use the higher dollar box with flashing for zero leaks and emt stub thru the roof.

The roof penetration and all interior runs must be metal, not plastic to meet code, that why I and others use the higher dollar box with flashing for zero leaks and emt stub thru the roof.
You can still use EMT stub into an EZ Solar. And the PVC is above the shingle.

In several places I used FMC fittings.

(AC circuit though with microinverters)

... I wouldnt rig something up with the pipe flashing unless you know exactly what you're doing.
I agree, if you look at the pipe flashing one (even the ones with solar specific instructions), the technique needs to be more precise in two places. The EMT needs to be secured to the joist in the roof and the sealant needs to be applied in a (to me) more precise way on the EPDM boot and EMT junction.

While the solar specific flashing conduit boxes only need sealant and shingle cutting of basically the same techniques as using rack rail flashing

Soladeck. It'll outlast your roof.

That ez solar box looks interesting. I don't like having plastic anything on the roof but maybe if you mount it under the panels it'll be okay.

I really wouldn't use a pipe boot.

You can also run conduit over the eve of your roof but that looks ugly.

Roofers have been using pipe boots or similar for far longer than solar has existed. I don't see the need to reinvent the existing solution that works fine when your putting plumbing vents through the roof.

Right but they’re slamming dozens of those in every day. While when you’re making roof penetrations for the first time while DIYing, you’ve put in exactly zero of those before, but many flashfeet, by the time you get to this part of the project.

The junction boxes also can stick up less on the roof than masts

Back