diy solar

diy solar

what mm cable to link 8.2 kWh inverter to house

neilcoates72

Don't shout I'm trying to learn
Cn anyone tell me what mm cable I need to link my inverter to a small house please. basically it's my parents annex.
8.2kw hybrid inverter
6.5kw pv array
4x 12v 100a lithium batteries in series 48v

Cn anyone tell me what mm cable I need to link my inverter to a small house please. basically it's my parents annex.
8.2kw hybrid inverter
6.5kw pv array
Wire is sized based on amperage and distance. Without those details we can't help.

Is this non grid tied so you’re just worried about DC cabling size?

I am guessing he is referring to AC cable from inverter to CU.

First thing though... if you're asking this question you're obviously not a sparky.. but installing a new circuit comes under Building Regs Part-P, so will require a Part-P qualified individual to sign-off, even if you are doing a self install.

I'm not a sparky, but an 8.2kW inverter can deliver up to 36A at UK's nominal 230V. That will require minimum of 6mm^2 T&E cable and a 40A MCB, depending on the cable's temp rating.

6mm^2 T&E should be good for up to 45A (under reference method A / 90C).

But depending on distance you may want to consider a larger diameter cable to minimise losses and minimise voltage drop/rise.

Personally, I'd chose 10mm^2 for the above reasons.

8.2kw hybrid inverter
6.5kw pv array
Your array to inverter needs wire
the batteries need wire to the inverter
the inverter needs wire to the house

It's very odd you're only asking for 1 of these sizes, how'd you figure out the other sizes?

if it's 8200 watts at 240 volts then that'd be 34 amps
10mm2 here aswell.
so this would be ok wire as it can do ~40-70amps

@neilcoates72
If you can get away with smaller wire as seagal suggests, then even better

However, If you're on 120volt it'd be different... since you're using metric I assume 220-240volt but japan and canada don't use it.. soooo no telling

If you can get away with smaller wire as seagal suggests, then even better
🙅‍♀️ I was still recommending 10mm^2 to minimise losses and reduce voltage rise.

However, If you're on 120volt it'd be different... since you're using metric I assume 220-240volt but japan and canada don't use it.. soooo no telling
He is in UK, so 230V. I had queried that 9 months ago ;)

Back