diy solar

diy solar

What panels for 24V system with 24v 2.4kW PIP All in one system

MrWegas

Mr. Wegas
I'm impresed how simple is instaling 24V 24v 2.4kW PIP all in one as on this page.

I have 30ft Class C.
Question is regarding panels. All sugested panels are 100W. If I want 1200W I dont have space for 12 panels on the roof. How about 6x200W 12V panels, or 4x300W. Or should I use 24V panels? What's tghe best combination and the right amount of Watts on the roof?

If you aren't worried about shading on the panels the cleanest way, from a wiring perspective, would be to have all the panels in series. That would also let you use lighter gauge wire than if they are in parallel. The inverter is a 24v model so you want the maximum power point of the solar array to be > 24v, ideally 36v or higher.

12v panels often have a Mpp voltage of 18 volts. 18 x 4 = 72v Mpp and likely 88v VoC. Both of those values are suitable for your MPP inverter. The voltages panels operate will vary between makes so for peace of mind once you find a panel you are interested in buying, post a link in this thread so people can see the ratings of the panel to make sure it is OK to use.

24v panels could be used too, but rather than 4 in series it would be best done as (2 in series) x 2 strings in parallel to avoid voltages higher than your inverter can safely work with on the solar input. This means you'd need a combiner box, probably on the roof.

Back