diy solar

diy solar

What should I add to Will's minimalist system to make it really viable?

ArtieKendall

I'm about ready to pull the trigger on a beginner solar/battery/inverter/charger system. I've done minor electrical stuff around the house like replacing outlets and light switches, but otherwise I'm a complete newbie.

Will's recent video on a beginner system has made me think I could pull this off, but I'm a bit unsure that the setup should be as minimal as he says (he basically just has a battery and an EG4 3000 AIO on a hand truck). I understand and appreciate that he is showing the very minimum, and I'm sure it would work, but from reading as much as I could over the past couple of weeks, it seems like I also would want a fuse for the battery-to-inverter connection, a cutoff switch to the solar connection, etc. Maybe a breaker as well as a fuse for the battery connection, to use as an emergency shutoff?

I live in a very small town with no solar supply shops around, so it's not like I can easily run out and pick something up if I forget it. I would like to get everything in one purchase, so if I have a problem with something small like a circuit breaker, tech support knows they are talking to a customer who spent $8K with them, rather than 30 bucks. I'm already getting ready to spend a crap ton of money, because Signature Solar (who sells the AIO and batteries I want) has the $200 shipping deal if you spend over $5K, compared with $800 shipping for a single battery, so I'll get three or four batteries and a rack. They also have a minimum order of ten solar panels, which is way more than I wanted to start with, but again the shipping costs make up for it, and since I'm 70 years old, there's not much point in putting off the purchase of stuff that lasts 20+ years. Since I'm spending so much already, throwing in some fuses, breakers, or ferrules won't make much difference.

So using Will's setup as a start, what else would you recommend buying so that the system doesn't just work, but will have all the safety and convenience features a turn-it-on-and-forget-it system should have? I don't want a bigger inverter right now, because I plan to really study this stuff for a year or so and then build a whole-house grid-tied system (probably either a Solark or Schneider ~15kw) and keep this beginner system for a backup, or maybe put in my sister's house.

Specific questions:
- Is it better to put ferrules on the ends of the wires that go into the EG4?
- Should I put a fuse, a breaker, or both on the battery input to the AIO if I'm using four EG4 LL batteries in parallel that have their own individual breakers?
- Do you have recommendations for the PV cutoff switch, wire, and connectors? Note: since the EG4 3000 has a 500V PV max, I plan to have all ten of the panels (~40 VOC each) in series.
- Would a Smart Shunt tell me anything that I can't get from the EG4 software?

Thanks for any help.

If this is a demonstration system, why not buy a bunch of used panels locally? All the misc electrical stuff you can buy locally or off Amazon.

Batteries have their own on/off switch, so fuse to protect wires.

Smart shunt more accurate than BMS built into each battery.

Will's concept works pretty well; you don't need a fuse if you have a single battery as the internal breaker does the job, although the EG4-3kW does come with a 125A breaker. If you are going to have multiple batteries then it is a good idea. A cut-out switch for the PV is a good idea. Signature Solar sells an IMO switch that does the job economically.

Ferrules should only be used if instructed by the manual. The EG4-3kW manual indicates tinned tips for the battery wires; I'm not sure if it comes that way from the EG4 kit (a 6', 4AWG cable is included for red and black). PV wires are also shown as tinned tips.

If this is a demonstration system, why not buy a bunch of used panels locally? All the misc electrical stuff you can buy locally or off Amazon
I'd love to buy used panels, but they're not easy to find where I live. Not hard to understand, since once people install them, they probably don't take them down for 20 years or so, unless they flat don't work. I looked at SanTan Solar, and they have great prices on blemished panels, but the shipping was like $500 for five panels, so I might as well buy new panels from SS. Shipping is what kills me on everything. Except Rich Solar has free shipping, but then they only sell panels by the pallet, too (except for some that cost way over a dollar a watt).

You've checked craigslist? Solar panels don't usually stay up for 20 years. They get replaced for obsolescence when they have to come down for a roof replacement, or just because new panels become more profitable.

You could also try calling local installers. Most of them here are sitting on them because it costs money to dispose. If your area lets you send them to landfill though that might be different.

I'd love to buy used panels, but they're not easy to find where I live.
Can you at least give us a ballpark idea of where to look? We don't want to see your street address, but a bit closer than "USA"? How about a region of a state, like northern California, or western Virginia? That's not very personal information.

Check Facebook Marketplace. There has to be someone selling used panels within 50mi radius.

Can you at least give us a ballpark idea of where to look? We don't want to see your street address, but a bit closer than "USA"? How about a region of a state, like northern California, or western Virginia? That's not very personal information.
I'm on the Olympic peninsula in Washington state. I did look on Craig's list, but found nothing useful. I've never tried Facebook; I thought that was a social chat thing (I'm 70 years old, and about 30 years behind the times).

ETA: But please don't spend any time trying to find panels for me, because from reading stuff here and watching YouTube, I've come to the conclusion that I need to learn a lot more before I take the plunge. Some months, at least.

Last edited:
I need to learn a lot more before I take the plunge. Some months, at least.
Let some solar installers know that you are happy to takes some used panels for free. When the opportunity arises, pick them up and store them in your shed until you are ready. In the meantime, watch for people selling used inverter.

I'm on the Olympic peninsula in Washington state. I did look on Craig's list, but found nothing useful. I've never tried Facebook; I thought that was a social chat thing (I'm 70 years old, and about 30 years behind the times).
A bit of a drive, but I suppose you head over to Seattle every so often.
I've driven further than that for Seattle's DimSum.

A bit of a drive, but I suppose you head over to Seattle every so often.
I've driven further than that for Seattle's DimSum.
I used to think nothing of driving from Pullman to Seattle, but that was 50 years ago. Now I'm 70, and there is a drawbridge and a ferry ride between me and Seattle that makes it an all-day round trip, despite only being around 80 miles as the crow flies. I haven't been there for years, and I don't miss it a bit. Seriously, I thank you for the help, but the solar panels are the least of my worries, because even though I will have to buy a few more than I need right now, SS will ship them for free if I buy them at the same time I am buying $5K worth of batteries, which I intend to do.

the biggest thing I see that I would change is that since you plan on going with a whole house system in the future, why not buy 20-30 panels, (adjust to how many you need for final system), put 8 or 10 up initially to learn on and store the extras in your garage. that way when you start on your big system you have 20-30 panels that more or less match each other. gets you your cheap shipping and when you expand voila panels you are GTG on.

edit: granted if its along way off you might not want to as panels could be cheaper 4 or 5 years from now.

edit: granted if its along way off you might not want to as panels could be cheaper 4 or 5 years from now.
Bingo. For now the panels will be smaller ones, like 280 watts each, on ground racks. When I go big, I will do roof mount, and hopefully by then they will have 600-watt panels.

If you have room in your yard, put solar panels in ground mount. Do not roof mount unless you have no other choice.
I only have room for about ten of them in my backyard if I want them to get good sun. I have room for another ten on the south side of my garage roof. I will not put any on the roof over a living area, having learned my lesson about the quality of workmanship in small towns when my house was built.

Bingo. For now the panels will be smaller ones, like 280 watts each, on ground racks. When I go big, I will do roof mount, and hopefully by then they will have 600-watt panels.
this is something I will opine on heavily. if you can do ground mount, then do it... roof mounts are sketchy unless the building is rebar reinforced concrete... even then freeze and thaw can destroy where the anchor bolts go in..

a ground mount is easier to clean and maintain, safer to work on, and you do not need to worry about leaks that will happen sooner or later if you have rain in your area... you can't clean of snow easily in the winter,

so if you can do ground mount... do it.

up front, mine are roof mount on my shop, but my shop is for vehicles, and heavy equipment... a roof leak will not kill anything. and I do have issues with snow in the winter, though my battery bank is large enough to bridge the gap up to a week at a time.

I only have room for about ten of them in my backyard if I want them to get good sun. I have room for another ten on the south side of my garage roof. I will not put any on the roof over a living area, having learned my lesson about the quality of workmanship in small towns when my house was built.

good garage upi can live with a leak, though the repairs will cost as they have to remove the panels to fix the leak...just bear that in mind.

Back