diy solar

diy solar

What was your most interesting recent non solar project?

Work can be interesting. I am the operating engineer at a commercial plumbing contractor. This job was for a live seafood processing facility.
Rules for construction:
1) deep stuff goes in first. The site contractor was trying to dig these sumps in hardpan with a mini and a smooth bucket. I suggested they go do the sleeves for me and I would take care of roughing the sumps out with the foot long twin tiger teeth I put on for this job. We would have been waiting on them.
PXL_20240219_212702861-1.jpg

Our deepest plumbing.

PXL_20240220_211058660-1.jpg

Safety first and always.

PXL_20240220_214740588-1.jpg

Now that is all in concrete, you can see that mid-pool trench drain. The sumps are covered for safety.

PXL_20240320_205109680-1.jpg

Safety first and always.

View attachment 205532
Brings back memories when I worked as a ditch bitch for my uncle before I left for boot camp. Housing development in a swamp, we were running sewer lines. The mud would run over the top of the box and you had to shovel it out by hand, lay the pipe, pull the box ahead with the mud running over the top and repeat.

The trench was a 60 foot wide V at points as that mud just oozzed on down into the box and down along the sides as the excavator dug it.

So much fun......... all for $3.20/hour back in 1985.

You must've gone to SD instead PI. :LOL:
Yep, Hollywood Marine.

0811 Cannon Cocker

You yell, we shell, death from the rear. (that is how it is supposed to work)

First day in combat we spent most of the day shooting behind us as that is where recon and the grunts were. We had passed all the tanks, grunts mounted on Amtraks and LAV's with recon after crossing the minefields. Every now and then we had to speed shift to the front and shoot ahead of us when FO's in OV-10's would spot tank columns heading our way. Then back to shooting to the rear and sides as the front was unified.

A risky move putting FA in front but brilliant. We had enemy tanks right in front of us (but we were just out of their range) with close air support F18's strafing them as we laid in. Mechanized warfare is fast moving, one hell of an experience that most people will never have.

I spent 8 years with the Corps, loved what I did. I spent 4 years as a section chief and trained many of the other section chiefs that were in charge of the other 7 guns. Left the Corps as an E6, the war had taken a toll on my health and I knew it was time even though I had enough rank I worked hard for that a career from then on would have been easy if Iraq hadn't occurred. CO and XO were begging me to stay, the CO was my XO and platoon commander during the war. Spent a month smack dab in the middle of the oil well fires, smoke so thick you couldn't see your hand in front of your face mid day.

I still keep in contact with the boys, we are moving to a reunion every year now. Some are dying now from cancers and other sickness. One of my boys told me at the last reunion he had severe sinus infections and lost his sense of taste and smell. I told him to get to the VA and file a claim, he called me a few months ago and thanked me for sending him to the VA. The VA took care of him and rated his loss of taste and smell at 70%. I'm glad he got it. Many others have had to fight tooth and nail for benefits. I've been in the VA system for almost 30 years now. The PACT Act has made a huge difference.

Father in law trenched about 400ft for power and water.
He needed some assistance feeding wire so I fed him about 1/4 mile of wire so that he could finish his fire suppression, lighting, and security for the back of the property
IMG_2435.jpeg

Just finished reading through the thread.
Goodness, yall are absolutely inspiring!
I need to kick myself into gear and make better consistent use of my time being productive.

I had been mentioning lately that time seems to have changed, I feel like we skipped half a decade. I then stumbled upon a video that suggests time is relative to lived experiences and adventure.
the method of which this was studied was by having people free fall and estimate the time it took and then observe others doing the same fall and estimate their time.
It was over 30% different in the perception of time, time feeling slower when falling than observing others falling. Maybe I need more adventure!

How old are yall? Some of you look like you’ve done a lifetime of cool stuff in the last week! If you’re older, what’s your secret to keep going? If you’re younger, how’d you stay on a productive path and minimize distractions?

Sorry for the side tangent, I just enjoy being motivated from y’all. Proof I can and will just tackle the next project.

Last edited:
Yep, Hollywood Marine.

0811 Cannon Cocker

You yell, we shell, death from the rear. (that is how it is supposed to work)

First day in combat we spent most of the day shooting behind us as that is where recon and the grunts were. We had passed all the tanks, grunts mounted on Amtraks and LAV's with recon after crossing the minefields. Every now and then we had to speed shift to the front and shoot ahead of us when FO's in OV-10's would spot tank columns heading our way. Then back to shooting to the rear and sides as the front was unified.

A risky move putting FA in front but brilliant. We had enemy tanks right in front of us (but we were just out of their range) with close air support F18's strafing them as we laid in. Mechanized warfare is fast moving, one hell of an experience that most people will never have.

I spent 8 years with the Corps, loved what I did. I spent 4 years as a section chief and trained many of the other section chiefs that were in charge of the other 7 guns. Left the Corps as an E6, the war had taken a toll on my health and I knew it was time even though I had enough rank I worked hard for that a career from then on would have been easy if Iraq hadn't occurred. CO and XO were begging me to stay, the CO was my XO and platoon commander during the war. Spent a month smack dab in the middle of the oil well fires, smoke so thick you couldn't see your hand in front of your face mid day.

I still keep in contact with the boys, we are moving to a reunion every year now. Some are dying now from cancers and other sickness. One of my boys told me at the last reunion he had severe sinus infections and lost his sense of taste and smell. I told him to get to the VA and file a claim, he called me a few months ago and thanked me for sending him to the VA. The VA took care of him and rated his loss of taste and smell at 70%. I'm glad he got it. Many others have had to fight tooth and nail for benefits. I've been in the VA system for almost 30 years now. The PACT Act has made a huge difference.
You missed the sand fleas, I missed Mt Mfer.
0411 Maint Mgmt Logistics, aka Rifleman, 2nd FSSG CLNC
Spent 8 months on a ship during shield/storm, used as a decoy, ran landing drills in the Gulf to draw fire. So never had to charge a beach, but we were ready. Ship took missile fire, easily cured by the seawiz. I still talk to a few buddies. Went to one's wedding a couple years ago. Just started seeing my rep to file claims. Got a whole 10% so far for tinnitus!

@G00SE I'm in my late 30s. Time is at a premium, but a great motivator when you're just about out of it!

I struggle with distractions quite a bit, otherwise.

I almost flipped my tractor carrying a heavy load in the bucket. So I picked up suitcase weights but didn't want to mount them on the 3pt to make the tractor longer, as I want to keep it maneuverable.

So I mocked up a bracket, welded it, and hung hte weights. Looks like it was always there.

gpPsU4v.jpg

WekQwAn.jpg

Xrt56iy.jpg

Back