diy solar

diy solar

Where is your inverter installed?

Where is your house use inverter installed?

• Outside/Unattached Out Building

• Attached Garage

• Inside The House - Utility Room/Basement/Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
In a corner of my computer/office room about 20ft from my bed. If they alarm for some reason I can hear it and take care of the issue. Since your other thread was concerning the noise from the fans I will just say that the fans are noisiest during times of peak PV production and rarely run when there is none. Takes a large load to kick them on otherwise. Once the load cycles the fans go back off.

If I run the window A/C the noise drowns out the inverter fan noise other than mid day.

In a corner of my computer/office room about 20ft from my bed. If they alarm for some reason I can hear it and take care of the issue. Since your other thread was concerning the noise from the fans I will just say that the fans are noisiest during times of peak PV production and rarely run when there is none. Takes a large load to kick them on otherwise. Once the load cycles the fans go back off.

If I run the window A/C the noise drowns out the inverter fan noise other than mid day.
While the other thread was about noise, the response to it got me wondering about where people have them installed. I installed mine in my utility room (no basement). I didn't give it a second thought, but the reply to that thread made me wonder how common it is to install inside.

I have a separate Powerhouse-Pumphouse combo that is insulated & independently heated.
I can actually hear the Inverter's Fans when there is a heavy load (Samlex has noisy fans) through the walls with the door closed ! But then again, the same with the Midnite Classic SCC's, those fans can howl when they are charging at max. The fan noise would be quite untenable inside our home UNLESS the "utility room" was sound insulated.

That being said, there are Quiet Fans available that can be used to replace the noisy ones but as I have them in an outbuilding I haven't bothered.

Mine are in my workshop which I wasn't sure how to pick in your poll. I chose attached garage.

The roof is common to the house but its a brick on all 4 sides with a walkway between the house and the workshop and makes up part of the 2 car carport. Best pick I could come up with.

Since mine is out in the workshop noise isn't a factor but safety wise it offers no real fire protection since its a shared roof but battery explosions would be contained so there is that.

Mine are in my workshop which I wasn't sure how to pick in your poll. I chose attached garage.

The roof is common to the house but its a brick on all 4 sides with a walkway between the house and the workshop and makes up part of the 2 car carport. Best pick I could come up with.

Since mine is out in the workshop noise isn't a factor but safety wise it offers no real fire protection since its a shared roof but battery explosions would be contained so there is that.
I think attached is the best choice given the common roof. It's hard to cover all the options without have a dozen choices.

Mine is in the bedroom. During the evening its noiseless and I covered its lights with paper. Also, If it explodes and destroys the house, I will probably die saving myself the burden of all repairs and payments.

Out of sight out of mind can be a problem for keeping track of proper operation. Might not need to stand 24/7 watch on everything but it is a good practice to routinely check on power generating equipment.

In my partially cleaned out walk-in 6x7ft clothes closet. The east wall has the inverter (EX 6500) on Hardibacker. The other walls have clothes/shoe racks. We live in a single wide modular home, and the fans are audible from the other end (70ft) of the house, even at minimal loads.

I chose that room because it's the closest to the ground mount, about 50ft. Plus, the house panel is in the adjacent master bedroom, and the critical loads sub-panel is next to it. The outside pole panel is just outside the house. So the wire runs to/from those panels were less than 30ft.

I'd prefer it to be in the office (more room, better ventilation), but that's at the far end of the house, and that would've meant another 60ft of wire runs. An extra 240ft of 4 awg wouldn't have been cheap, instead I only had to run about 100ft total.

Wife doesn't like the fan noise, but at night it's not that bad, especially with the closet door closed, plus she runs her own large fan to keep cool, so it's a wash. At a constant volume it's a nice white noise generator. The strobing LED light bar bothers her, so I keep it off at night.

Detached garage connected by covered breezeway, so it's in a technically separate building with a shared roof and attic. Perhaps a little more safety there, although a fire with shared attic would not be good, and certainly no noise issues.

In the laundry, about the only place I could fit in the inverters and battery. Like to have that expensive stuff close by to hear any big bangs and try to salvage whatever I can.

Attachments

• PIC_2085.JPG
    PIC_2085.JPG
    225.7 KB · Views: 12
In the laundry, about the only place I could fit in the inverters and battery. Like to have that expensive stuff close by to hear any big bangs and try to salvage whatever I can.

Back