diy solar

diy solar

Why Isn't There a Setting on the EG4 18Kpv to NOT Discharge the Batteries When Grid is up?

I think this is achievable. Can you send me your station name and S/N via DM? I can take a look at your settings and see what we need to do to get this working how you want it to.
I applaud the support provided, but can you provide feedback in the forum on the specific settings used? I see similar replies to those trying to configure the 18kPV for their specific use. It may help others with the same goals without needing to reach out to EG4. Maybe a sticky with common use cases and the appropriate settings?

Also, commonality in the web monitor, app, and inverter screens for setting names and settings available to change would be great.

There are some significant upgrades coming for the user interface and data available.
EG4 are working on some seriously cool features that could make Solar Assistant redundant for the 18k and 6000XP

I applaud the support provided, but can you provide feedback in the forum on the specific settings used? I see similar replies to those trying to configure the 18kPV for their specific use. It may help others with the same goals without needing to reach out to EG4. Maybe a sticky with common use cases and the appropriate settings?
I set his batteries up in a manner that would keep them at 90%. On grid cut off SOC%. We are working on getting the setting fixed to keep it at 100% right now. Once it is finished, I will post about it here in the forum.
Also, commonality in the web monitor, app, and inverter screens for setting names and settings available to change would be great.
There are some settings that we just can't put on the app. We don't want anyone to accidentally change the output Hz to 50Hz and ruin everything in their home because the screen unlocked in their pocket. As far as setting names and such, have you updated the display firmware? That should fix a lot of discrepancies between settings and names.

Sorry to hijack thread, but I wanted to clarify my request to EG4 and SS on this.

Basically, I want my batteries to hold high SOC, prefer 100%, during the day, then go into discharge after solar isn't available, at night.

My thoughts are to run off solar and grid (if needed) during the day, but at night, allow batteries to be drawn from. I would think this could be accomplished either with a schedule, or with a combo of SOC vs Solar being produced.

I wanted this because my batteries primary role is as UPS for the house. I don't mind, and want to, draw from them in the evenings. I have about 30-40 hours of UPS from my batteries.

The problem I was having is that during the day, with solar producing, if I put a high load on the inverter, say charging my EV, the load was being fed from solar, batteries and grid, even though I had set the 18 to prioritize charging batteries.

In my case, I wanted solar to be charging the batteries and total load coming from the grid.

I was told by SS Support that when there is a big load "The inverter tries to get energy from any source". Then why have the charge batteries first setting?
Did you ever get this figure out? This is my exact use case. I still need to figure out why my battery won’t discharge but after that I’d like to figure out how to charge my EV then pull from battery without pulling from grid if load goes over PV production.

Did you ever get this figure out? This is my exact use case. I still need to figure out why my battery won’t discharge but after that I’d like to figure out how to charge my EV then pull from battery without pulling from grid if load goes over PV production.
You can adjust all of this in "Working Mode". Since this post, I actually changed my whole thought process, etc, to align with how my net metering works. I basically let the 18 do its thing, and I have my battery set to 85% stop discharge when on grid. I have 1-1 net metering, so running off the batteries makes no sense for me, when grid is up. I chose 85%, because, as I understand it, LIFEPO4 batteries don't like sitting at 100% for long periods of time.

Back