diy solar

diy solar

Windstorm Insurance - Texas Coastal Residential

BudT

Anybody have any experience with solar installs in Windstorm areas? Specifically coastal areas (Texas), where we are required to get construction inspections (WPI8, I beieve), to qualify for windstorm insurance coverage.

If so, how did you go about getting answers to your questions regard what is required for the equipment to be covered?

My windstorm policy is through the state agency (TWIA), so I really don't have an agent to lean on. I have reached out to the Windstorm Engineering firm who we hired when we built our house and detached garage, but they did not seem to be familiar with ground mount arrays, which is what we plan to do

Typically insurance covers the main structure, not things not connected to the home. You would need a rider to have specific coverage for other structures, like a ground mounted solar array and only the insurance provider can provide requirements necessary documentation for extended coverage. At a minimum you will need a PE ( Professional engineer ) letter and sign off on the permits from your county for construction and submission for the insurance to show it meets all wind codes, or at least that's how it is in Florida

Typically insurance covers the main structure, not things not connected to the home. You would need a rider to have specific coverage for other structures, like a ground mounted solar array and only the insurance provider can provide requirements necessary documentation for extended coverage. At a minimum you will need a PE ( Professional engineer ) letter and sign off on the permits from your county for construction and submission for the insurance to show it meets all wind codes, or at least that's how it is in Florida
My Germania policy covers my panels (other structures not connected to my house) for free. No additional charge. You may need to get another company.

Sorry for the delayed response, but thank you both for the input. I'm planning to start reaching out to our various entities to see what all is required.

Back