diy solar

diy solar

Wire Size and MC4 Connection Question.

guidecca

Can I safely connect a 3Ft 8awg MC4 extension to a 3Ft 12awg MC4 solar panel wire or at what point from the solar panel to the solar charge controller is it safe to use a larger wire size.

Can panel wires vary in length?

Attachments

• Q.PEAK DUO L-G8.2 415W Solar Panel .jpg
    Q.PEAK DUO L-G8.2 415W Solar Panel .jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 9
  • Combiner Box For Parallel Solar Panels.jpg
    Combiner Box For Parallel Solar Panels.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
I'm wondering a bit on this myself. I read an article stating the 8awg "mc4" connection is not a true mc4 fitting. I'm really trying to avoid crimping my own connections but liked the idea of using 8awg from my panels to my combiner box.

How compatible are they to smaller 12awg sized mc4 connectors? Specifically I was looking at the Windy Nation brand 8awg "mc4" cables.

I'm wondering a bit on this myself. I read an article stating the 8awg "mc4" connection is not a true mc4 fitting. I'm really trying to avoid crimping my own connections but liked the idea of using 8awg from my panels to my combiner box.

How compatible are they to smaller 12awg sized mc4 connectors? Specifically I was looking at the Windy Nation brand 8awg "mc4" cables.
There are genuine 8 AWG MC4 connectors available and they are the same connector used for 10/12 AWG wire. Although it is hard to know what connector you might actually get on those cables. There has been some discussion in the solar industry that incompatible connectors could lead to failure or maybe fire, which would be a bigger issue dealing with the currents with 8 AWG wire.

Real MC4 connectors 8 AWG:

There has been some discussion in the solar industry that incompatible connectors could lead to failure or maybe fire, which would be a bigger issue dealing with the currents with 8 AWG wire.
That is exactly the concern from my angle. Thanks for the response.

I wasn't sure if the catastrophic incompatibility was more from leaking o-rings or an over amperage condition getting met.

There are genuine 8 AWG MC4 connectors available and they are the same connector used for 10/12 AWG wire. Although it is hard to know what connector you might actually get on those cables. There has been some discussion in the solar industry that incompatible connectors could lead to failure or maybe fire, which would be a bigger issue dealing with the currents with 8 AWG wire.

Real MC4 connectors 8 AWG:
These are what I stock, and I use a 45A Anderson crimper.
Works great.

Back