diy solar

diy solar

Wood Battery Shelving

TheHappyNomads

Trying to figure out the best shelving system for my DIY ESS. I've seen plenty of metal racks and server racks and wooden racks. Metal would want to be grounded. Wood catches fire easier. Is one substantially more safe/better than the other?

Trying to figure out the best shelving system for my DIY ESS. I've seen plenty of metal racks and server racks and wooden racks. Metal would want to be grounded. Wood catches fire easier. Is one substantially more safe/better than the other?
You could use HardieBaker if it has support under it. The strongest shelfs I’ve seen are these it you have the room and can find them. Costco
Wood can be treated with fire retardant (glue before or it won’t stick) or you can spray it with header paint.IMG_1404.jpeg

@Skypower -- Those racks look really nice, and not quite as deep as the Dewalt shelves Will mentions in a separate post, which I like about them. My battery modules are 2' L and so I would either have to have them hang a bit or put them front to back (which might not be that big of a deal I suppose). HardieBacker is a good idea for shelves themselves too.

@Rednecktek -- great idea to spray the wood with liner like that. Wood is most flexible in my mind to fit a custom shelving option for whatever batteries someone might have but the flammability is always a concern. I am capable of building strong enough shelves for sure but didn't know how to protect the wood until now, thanks for that.

Metal Conductivity vs. wood flammability??? 😅 I guess just wire everything up properly and avoid either

Back