diy solar

diy solar

World's least expensive 12V freeze protected battery???

I have a low temperature shutoff on my solar charger

I have concern of relying on the charge controller low temp shut off......The battery freezes at night....next morning the charge controller warms up before the cells do and starts charging still frozen cells......Even if there is some type of remote temp probe that you place on the battery case, the cells could still be frozen when the outside of the case reports "safe to charge"....

Well...I just hit "Buy It Now" on Amazon......The reviews here and on Amazon seem like this thing is the real deal. Will be using for camping and trolling motor......

I have concern of relying on the charge controller low temp shut off......The battery freezes at night....next morning the charge controller warms up before the cells do and starts charging still frozen cells......Even if there is some type of remote temp probe that you place on the battery case, the cells could still be frozen when the outside of the case reports "safe to charge"....
I brew a lot of beer and wine in 6 gallon carboys. We are talking A HUGE amount of thermal mass. Temperatures must be within a degree or two for controlled fermentation so I bought a thermal well to accurately read the actual inside temperature with the remote fermentation probe. Then I tried an experiment where I taped a probe to the outside, then covered that with an insulation pad. Guess what? It was within 1 degree of the inside measurement.

Additionally, my MPPT controller has an adjustable temperature cutoff. So I can set it to a higher temperature.

I was In the middle of testing them, but an unrelated, more urgent problem came up.
I charged them up with an older, supposedly Lithium compatible charger. Not 100% sure, but I think the BMS blocked current once 13.44 volts was achieved on one, and 13.31 on the other. These voltages held after rest. I was hoping to see the BMS go into balance mode.
Interesting. I think mine went up to somewhere around 14.2 to 14.4 ish?

I also ran a small discharge test. I had used about 96ahs at 11.77v, running about 900 watts. Called it good, feel like it will hit 100ah. Noticed BMS will cut it off somewhere around 105a. Battery charges to somewhere in range of 14.2 to 14.4v on a 20a LifFePO4 charger.

Interesting. I think mine went up to somewhere around 14.2 to 14.4 ish?
Once I got my solar controller working they went up the same. My controller then drops to a 13.6 float, so if I’m not watching I can miss it. I also discharged with 1400 watt continuous actual load(convection microwave) on a 2200 watt inverter and it worked fine. This was two in parallel, so I’m satisfied. Haven’t tested where the BMS’s will cut off, but they likely meet spec.

My old plug in charger is a POS.

Last edited:
I received my Lisuateli battery in short order. It came extremely well packed with very complete, english, documentation. I installed it in my truck camper with a Renogy SCC and it started charging right up. As delivered, it was 13.2V out of the box. Time will tell if this was a good investment.

Not to put all my eggs in one basket, I just ordered two Renogy 100aH Li batteries at their sale price of $499 each.....Got $50 off for signing up for emails and no tax and no shipping! Total $949.00 delivered. These batteries offer blue tooth and high and low temperature disconnect......These will be going in my travel trailer.

I also bought and received a Victron Blue Smart IP22 12-Volt 30 amp charger. Pretty amazing device. So far, I brought an older AGM battery that was at 10.5V back to life!I was ready to recycle it when I decided to try the "recondition" phase of the Victron. After 24 hours the battery is still at 12.7V......We shall see!

I've been testing it for a couple weeks now. So far, working great. I'm running a ICECO portable frig/freezer for over a week on a charge. Quickly recharging with 120w of solar or a Vitron 30a Li charger. Have not tested low temperature charging disconnect. Kind a like testing a parachute.......don't want to find out it doesn't work....

vestwoods was selling their 200ah battery for 609 with low temp cutoff. last I looked they bumped up to 690
but if you watch they may drop it down again, as that happened several times while I was looking over a course of few weeks.
Does low temp actually work? I don't know .

vestwoods was selling their 200ah battery for 609 with low temp cutoff. last I looked they bumped up to 690
but if you watch they may drop it down again, as that happened several times while I was looking over a course of few weeks.
Does low temp actually work? I don't know .
That one only has a 100aH BMS. Fine for most applications, but not for larger inverters. Seems like it’s tough to get everything in a low cost battery. Getting better, though.

BTW, I just checked - that battery is currently unavailable.

yes I also looked and saw it was gone.
Im sure they will be back, at what price though?
Well if the OP was about batteries with a 200ah bms I wouldn't have posted.
That one only has a 100aH BMS. Fine for most applications, but not for larger inverters. Seems like it’s tough to get everything in a low cost battery. Getting better, though.

BTW, I just checked - that battery is currently unavailable.

The topic didn't specify a requirement for bms though and the OP was for a 100ah battery with same size BMS.
so that was why I contributed..

Not a problem. Several of us use multiples of these batteries in parallel. So we get an effective 200, 300, or more discharge rate. at 12V. Some 200aH 12V batteries have a 200aH BMS; some have a 100aH BMS. Would have loved to have used a single 200aH battery instead of two Lisuatelis, but couldn’t find one that met my needs for my RV(low temp cutoff and 200aH discharge).

Back