diy solar

diy solar

Would it be ok to use server rack batteries for a solar van installation??

Shouldn't be a problem, so long as its a quality server rack battery and the cells are not free to move about the case.

Shouldn't be a problem, so long as its a quality server rack battery and the cells are not free to move about the case.
And there is the most important issue. Most are no where near good enough for constant movement. Probably the number one reason why a rack battery failed when it arrives at its destination is because of its travel history. Motion hardening is a cost multiplier.

And there is the most important issue. Most are no where near good enough for constant movement. Probably the number one reason why a rack battery failed when it arrives at its destination is because of its travel history. Motion hardening is a cost multiplier.
Being bolted down in a van driving down the road is a lot different than UPS dropping your battery from the 2nd story into a container.

I sure hope so. Probably not the application you're thinking of though. The issue (to me) is what happens in a front end impact. Behind that plywood is a lot of steel. And the rack is bolted through the floor.

1680799912436.png

Being bolted down in a van driving down the road is a lot different than UPS dropping your battery from the 2nd story into a container.
Lol! 2nd story!
Being bolted down has no padding or absorption. I’d sure like to know how it’s constructed before I’d install one. If the cells can move at all they can wear a hole or damage a terminal eventually. Most now have reasonable insulation between cells. Some big class A motors homes and fifth wheels have pretty good ride, but some smaller vehicles that may take a more adventurous paths may be asking for it.

Lol! 2nd story!
Being bolted down has no padding or absorption. I’d sure like to know how it’s constructed before I’d install one. If the cells can move at all they can wear a hole or damage a terminal eventually. Most now have reasonable insulation between cells. Some big class A motors homes and fifth wheels have pretty good ride, but some smaller vehicles that may take a more adventurous paths may be asking for it.
My Brother in law worked a UPS sorting facility for a short time, and he was responsible to catch boxes that fell off a conveyor from above his head! He said he had a lot of boxes hit him because they came too quickly and weren't properly spread out. I couldn't imagine something sensitive falling from that height...

I think if its a harsh enough frontal impact to rip it out of the floor, then you've probably got bigger problems. Lol
Depends on how it's secured. In a relatively minor front end impact, you can easily generate 3-6Gs forward. For my batteries above, that's 900 - 1800 lbs of force. If they get free, they are headed toward the driver.

Depends on how it's secured. In a relatively minor front end impact, you can easily generate 3-6Gs forward. For my batteries above, that's 900 - 1800 lbs of force. If they get free, they are headed toward the driver.
How is it bolted to the floor?

How is it bolted to the floor?
That's a multi-stage answer, but it's secured all the way through the body of the van.
Again, what you can't see is two lateral steel bars that span the van horizontally that are directly behind the battery mount. The e-transit has hard points for some mouting and we've had to make some additional adaptations.

That's a multi-stage answer, but it's secured all the way through the body of the van.
Again, what you can't see is two lateral steel bars that span the van horizontally that are directly behind the battery mount. The e-transit has hard points for some mouting and we've had to make some additional adaptations.
That was where I was getting at, if the force is spread evenly throughout the floor, with reinforcements, then it would require a LOT of force to rip through the floor still. But if its just some 1/4"-20 bolts through sheet metal floor, then yeah, I can see them becoming a projectile.

My Brother in law worked a UPS sorting facility for a short time, and he was responsible to catch boxes that fell off a conveyor from above his head! He said he had a lot of boxes hit him because they came too quickly and weren't properly spread out. I couldn't imagine something sensitive falling from that height...
They are called OOPS! for good reason.

Back