diy solar

diy solar

Battery placement check

outboard1196

I'm wanting to move my system around for better safety and future expansion but I'm a bit concerned about hydrogen gas build up. I'll have 3 4d batteries charge controller and inverter as well as fuses and bus bars . batteries will be on the floor and charge controller and inverter will be mounted under the shelf . is this too confined? the structure is drafty and will be adding a roof vent for better temperature control in summer .

Attachments

• PXL_20240505_154245964.jpg
    PXL_20240505_154245964.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 16
I wouldn't worry so much about a hydrogen buildup as I would corrosive gasses , mainly sulfuric and sulfurous acids dissolved in the air's humidity being in close proximity to your inverter and charge controller.

Also, if I understand your description, small parts/tools/etc can be dropped from the area immediately under the shelf onto the batteries. That's an easy way to short a battery and if that happens, you won't be able to clear the short fast enough!

It is also a violation of the NEC working space requirement if code compliance is important to you.

I wouldn't worry so much about a hydrogen buildup as I would corrosive gasses , mainly sulfuric and sulfurous acids dissolved in the air's humidity being in close proximity to your inverter and charge controller.

Also, if I understand your description, small parts/tools/etc can be dropped from the area immediately under the shelf onto the batteries. That's an easy way to short a battery and if that happens, you won't be able to clear the short fast enough!

It is also a violation of the NEC working space requirement if code compliance is important to you.
hmm yes , my main reason for the move was to prevent some thing from hitting the batteries and causing a leak or a short . I'm not sure how to that without trapping gas within the structure . I need to come up with another solution.

Back