diy solar

diy solar

$100 per kilowatt Lifepo4 deal

Would one or more of these work well with the MPP all in one units (AIO)? From my understanding I would need to add an 8s 200A BMS. How would I add in temp protection to prevent charging at 32F with an AIO?
Define "these"
Jehu's batteries are a higher voltage. So, if the mpp can handle 60v or 28v if you wire them that way, then they can work.

Define "these"
Jehu's batteries are a higher voltage. So, if the mpp can handle 60v or 28v if you wire them that way, then they can work.
By "these" I was referring to the BYD 24V used batteries from batteryhookup that started this thread.

The MPP 2424LV-MSD charges at 80A on solar. Will's DIY page on All-in-one systems says that the 2424LV-MSD is suitable for "100-400+ amp hours of 24v". Since each BYD is about 187Ah that says to me that two BYD in parallel should be good to go.

What is the limitation if you added over 400Ah to the 2424LV-MSD, is it simply the inability to connect enough solar to charge the batteries fully in a day?

Shouldnt be a limitation.
But the mpp cant use it all, unless you had no sun for over a week.

Shouldnt be a limitation.
But the mpp cant use it all, unless you had no sun for over a week.
I think what you are saying is that the 2424LV-MSD doesn’t have enough 120V inverter output to really utilize the kWh capacity from 400Ah of connected battery storage. True or am I misinterpreting?

In the BYD battery case 2 are ~9kWh of capacity. 9/2.4=3.75hr of runtime. Even at a 1.2kW that is 7.5hr which is about one night of runtime.

The more battery you have, the less it will drain down, and the longer you will have available power reserves during inclement weather. But a 2000 watt inverter can use 48000Wh of energy per day...
so a 400Ah bank has a maximum 9600Wh.
800Ah would be 19200
1600Ah would be closer to the maximum usage of the inverter...
you would have to exceed 3200Ah before there would be No way to deplete the bank in 24 hours...
however, an 80 amp charger will take quite a while to replenish 76000Wh

So, it depends on how much solar you have. What are the specs of the MPPT of the inverter?

I am friends with battery hook up and if you use the coupon code "SOLAR" (yes in all caps), it will take off 10%. Try it out
Can you help me?

I want to charge, and discharge batteries, ya know just use them.

I want to charge them with my 14-50 plug on my house (which happens to get about 24 kWh of solar a day).

I want to plug a NEMA 14-50 EVSE (32amp) into the bank and charge up my car with the energy bank.

There is so much noise on how to just do this. I don’t care about chemistry. It is a battery. I want to charge them, use them, recharge, repeat.

I want 4 of the BYD modules (16~19 kWh at 48V), probably 8 actually.

Can you help me select a BMS for the BYD’s(do I even need a BMS with a charger?). Can you recommend a charger? All 240V (split phase, pure sine) nothing special.

Can you help me?

I want to charge, and discharge batteries, ya know just use them.

I want to charge them with my 14-50 plug on my house (which happens to get about 24 kWh of solar a day).

I want to plug a NEMA 14-50 EVSE (32amp) into the bank and charge up my car with the energy bank.

There is so much noise on how to just do this. I don’t care about chemistry. It is a battery. I want to charge them, use them, recharge, repeat.

I want 4 of the BYD modules (16~19 kWh at 48V), probably 8 actually.

Can you help me select a BMS for the BYD’s(do I even need a BMS with a charger?). Can you recommend a charger? All 240V (split phase, pure sine) nothing special.

This won’t be the most efficient way to do it, but an MPP solar controller has a charger built in, and you could wire it to a pair of batteries in series, connect the input and output as you describe, and be good to go.

This won’t be the most efficient way to do it, but an MPP solar controller has a charger built in, and you could wire it to a pair of batteries in series, connect the input and output as you describe, and be good to go.
I think this will work...

Back