diy solar

diy solar

18KPV - Charging Battery

FullNuke

I just commissioned my 18KPV and it is working great so far… I had the PowerWall battery supplying power to my sub panel. I had it set to start AC charge at 20%; however I do not want my battery to be charged with AC power (too expensive) I would like my battery to be charged by solar in the morning. At 20% SOC id like my 18KPV to just switch to grid.

I turned off AC Charge and the grid didn’t supply any power it was a black out?

How can I adjust these settings to allow. Battery to only charge only with PV? And not use AC to charge at all…

yes - that is okay with me. thank you!

the sun rose this morning (obviously) and the solar is charging my battery in full strength. Is it possible for the solar to charge the battery and provide power to the load at the same time?

I'm assuming the priority is setup to charge the battery to 100% with PV and then switch over to full solar to load and then battery and whatever is needed from the grid.

AC Charge Enabled
Start AC Charge SOC %20
Stop AC Charge SOC %100

Seeing if we are able to adjust it to Solar to charge battery and provide power to LOAD simultaneously when the PV gets power but I do think this setting is more beneficial so I have a full battery for the evening?

Update: It looks like the system just did that when it reached 25% in battery; all is good now. I jumped to the forums a bit early.

Last edited:
yes - that is okay with me. thank you!

the sun rose this morning (obviously) and the solar is charging my battery in full strength. Is it possible for the solar to charge the battery and provide power to the load at the same time?

I'm assuming the priority is setup to charge the battery to 100% with PV and then switch over to full solar to load and then battery and whatever is needed from the grid.

AC Charge Enabled
Start AC Charge SOC %20
Stop AC Charge SOC %100

Seeing if we are able to adjust it to Solar to charge battery and provide power to LOAD simultaneously when the PV gets power but I do think this setting is more beneficial so I have a full battery for the evening?
If there is enough of then yes it can charge battery and power loads simultaneously and even export to grid at the same time. It’s how my 18k is setup. All has to do with your settings and what you want it to do. The way mine is setup is with pv, take loads first, then feedback into grid then charge batteries but between 12pm and 5pm charge batteries first with pv. I don’t use ac at all to charge my battery.

If there is enough of then yes it can charge battery and power loads simultaneously and even export to grid at the same time. It’s how my 18k is setup. All has to do with your settings and what you want it to do. The way mine is setup is with pv, take loads first, then feedback into grid then charge batteries but between 12pm and 5pm charge batteries first with pv. I don’t use ac at all to charge my battery.
Update: It looks like the system just did that when it reached 25% in battery; all is good now. I jumped to the forums a bit early.

What are your settings to 1) only charge the batteries from solar and 2) have the grid power the load at a given low SOC?

TIA

Back