diy solar

diy solar

EG4 18kpv and Power Pro batteries

Nest

Hi all, I am new to the forum, but I have been following Will’s projects on YouTube for several years. I will be getting my EG4 18kpv and 2 power pro batteries in a few weeks. Since I drive about 40,000 miles a year for my job, I am planning on using the 18kpv and power pro batteries to solely charge my Tesla Model 3. I will be adding about 7.5 KW of solar panels to charge the batteries. Although I drive a lot and will be charging frequently, I understand that the system may be overkill. With that said, I was looking into the ability to send some of the excess electricity at night to use at home. I am not looking to have a back up system, just simply exporting 500w or 600w into the grid at night. My question is, can I set up the EG for 18kpv to feed into the 100 amp sub panel that I have near the area that I will be mounting the inverter? The sub panel is fed from my main 200 amp home panel. The sub panel powers my gazebo lights, fan, ect. I also added 1.7 kW of solar on the top of the gazebo using micro inverters. The power generated from the 1.7 kW solar panels is sending it from the subpanel to the main panel and into my home or into the grid. I currently have a 5.5 kW system on our home through a string inverter. The solar generated from the 5.5 kW system is running into my 200 amp main home panel. I have included a diagram to show the layout of the system. Based on the 18kpv inverters manual, it appears that I would need a 200 amp panel to be connected to the grid. Does anyone know if I can connect the 18kpv to my 100 amp sub panel, a 40 amp two pole breaker as a feed through breaker, and program the 18kpv to only send 500w or 600 W into that panel at night through the sub panel?
I appreciate the help!

Attachments

• IMG_0658.png
    IMG_0658.png
    591.8 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
There's no such thing as an EG4 18k. That would imply that it's an 18k inverter.
You are referring to the EG4 18kpv. Which is a 12k AIO that can take in 18kpv. It was given the name because it sounded bigger for marketing.
You should correct the typos, before you confuse 90,000 readers.

Edit: Thank you for the corrections.
PS: don't forget the thread title.

Last edited:
You can of course feed a downstream loads panel.
I think you can backfeed, "export" to the house upstream, using a current transformer to prevent exporting to grid.

Drawings are clearer if they flow left to right, and top to bottom. I think yours wraps around from bottom left toward the right, then up, then to the left.

Drawings are clearer if connections are only made as a "T", never as a "+" because then we don't know if they cross without connecting, or they do connect.

Your 100A panels is upstream, as is the 200A main panel.

It looks like 150A main load center will be battery-backed up.
Look into manual for CT to go somewhere around the meter, allowing your inverter to feed everything in the house, in parallel with the grid.

You can of course feed a downstream loads panel.
I think you can backfeed, "export" to the house upstream, using a current transformer to prevent exporting to grid.

Drawings are clearer if they flow left to right, and top to bottom. I think yours wraps around from bottom left toward the right, then up, then to the left.

Drawings are clearer if connections are only made as a "T", never as a "+" because then we don't know if they cross without connecting, or they do connect.

Your 100A panels is upstream, as is the 200A main panel.

It looks like 150A main load center will be battery-backed up.
Look into manual for CT to go somewhere around the meter, allowing your inverter to feed everything in the house, in parallel with the grid.
Thank you! I will upload a new drawing.

Back