diy solar

diy solar

1st time asking chatgpt for solar info

Texican

Solar Enthusiast
well I finally took a minute to look at chatgpt and try to see if it pertained at all to solar systems, asked a few basic questions and got the following answers
anyone know of any add on type apps that could do electrical diagrams ? something like that could put some of the companies selling permit/plan packages in a tough position
if there were a way to get visual diagrams drawn by AI, that would really be a cool development

has anyone found a use for this AI regarding solar yet ?

QUESTIONS I ASKED

what is the best value off grid inverter

The best value off-grid inverter will depend on a variety of factors such as the size of your off-grid system, the type of loads you have, and your budget. However, some popular off-grid inverter brands that offer good value for their price include Outback Power, Magnum Energy, and Schneider Electric. It's important to carefully consider your specific needs and do your research to ensure that you choose an inverter that is compatible with your battery bank and can handle the power demands of your loads.

design a one line diagram for grid tie solar

I apologize, but as an AI language model, I don't have the ability to create visual diagrams. However, I can provide you with a verbal description of a typical one-line diagram for a grid-tied solar system:
A one-line diagram for a grid-tied solar system typically includes the following components in a single line: the solar panels, DC disconnect, inverter, AC disconnect, utility meter, and the utility grid. The solar panels generate DC power which flows through the DC disconnect to the inverter. The inverter converts the DC power to AC power which flows through the AC disconnect to the utility meter. The utility meter measures the amount of power generated and fed back to the grid, and the utility grid receives and distributes the AC power to the electrical loads.

should I get an off grid solar system or a grid tie solar system

The choice between an off-grid solar system and a grid-tied solar system depends on your specific needs and circumstances. Here are some factors to consider:
  1. Energy needs: Off-grid solar systems are typically used in remote areas where there is no access to the electrical grid. If you live in a remote area and have high energy needs, an off-grid solar system may be the better option. However, if you live in an urban or suburban area and have access to the grid, a grid-tied solar system may be a better option.
  2. Cost: Off-grid solar systems are generally more expensive than grid-tied systems, as they require batteries to store energy for use when the sun is not shining. In addition, off-grid systems require more maintenance than grid-tied systems. If cost is a major factor, a grid-tied solar system may be the better option.
  3. Reliability: Grid-tied solar systems are generally more reliable than off-grid systems, as they are connected to the grid and can draw power when the sun is not shining. Off-grid systems rely solely on solar power and battery storage, which can be unreliable in extreme weather conditions or if the batteries are not properly maintained.
  4. Environmental impact: Both off-grid and grid-tied solar systems are environmentally friendly, as they generate clean, renewable energy. However, grid-tied systems are more efficient, as they can feed excess energy back into the grid for others to use.
Ultimately, the decision between an off-grid solar system and a grid-tied solar system will depend on your specific circumstances and priorities. It is recommended that you consult with a professional solar installer to help you make the best decision for your home or property.

I need a permit package for grid tie solar

To obtain a permit package for a grid-tie solar system, you will need to contact your local building department or permit office. The requirements for obtaining a permit package can vary depending on your location, so it's important to reach out to your local authorities for specific guidance.
Generally, the following documents are typically required when applying for a permit package for a grid-tie solar system:
  1. Site plan: A detailed drawing showing the location of the solar panels on the roof or ground, as well as any wiring and electrical components.
  2. Electrical diagrams: Detailed drawings showing the electrical layout of the solar panels, including the location and type of all components such as inverters and disconnects.
  3. Structural engineering plans: Plans showing the load capacity of the roof or ground where the solar panels will be installed, as well as any necessary reinforcement required.
  4. Building permit application: A formal application for a building permit, which will include basic information about the property, the solar system being installed, and the contractor or installer performing the work.
  5. Proof of insurance: Proof of liability insurance from the contractor or installer performing the work.
  6. Fees: There may be various fees associated with obtaining a permit, such as plan review fees and permit fees. The cost of these fees can vary depending on your location and the size of your solar system.
Again, it's important to check with your local building department or permit office to ensure that you have all the necessary documents and information required for a permit package for a grid-tie solar system.

Very interesting.

Curious, Which solar panel would the AI recommend for the Victron 100/20 solar charger controller at 48V system voltage? One that would make as much use of the SCC within solar array 100V Voc and 20A Isc limits at 48V.

If it nails that one, I'm convinced. :)

Very interesting.

Curious, Which solar panel would the AI recommend for the Victron 100/20 solar charger controller at 48V system voltage? One that would make as much use of the SCC within solar array 100V Voc and 20A Isc limits at 48V.

well here is the answer, Im somewhat impressed

Which solar panel would be best for the Victron 100/20 solar charger controller at 48V system voltage? One that would make as much use of the SCC within solar array 100V Voc and 20A Isc limits at 48V

To select the best solar panel for your Victron 100/20 solar charger controller, you will need to consider the voltage and current requirements of the charger controller and select a solar panel that is compatible with those requirements.
The Victron 100/20 solar charger controller is designed to operate at a maximum solar input voltage of 100V and a maximum solar input current of 20A. However, the system voltage is 48V, so the solar panel needs to be selected accordingly.
To make the best use of the solar charge controller within the limits of the solar array's 100V Voc and 20A Isc, you will need to choose a solar panel that has a maximum power point voltage (Vmp) in the range of 48-60V and a maximum power point current (Imp) in the range of 10-15A. This will ensure that the solar panel operates at its optimal efficiency and provides the maximum amount of power to the charger controller.
Some recommended solar panel options for your system could be the Renogy 300W 48V Monocrystalline Solar Panel or the Canadian Solar 320W 48V Monocrystalline Solar Panel. These panels have a Vmp in the range of 48-50V and an Imp in the range of 9-10A, which makes them compatible with the Victron 100/20 solar charger controller at 48V system voltage. However, it is always best to consult the manufacturer's specifications and consult with a professional to ensure that the solar panel you select is appropriate for your specific system requirements.

Regenerate response

well here is the answer, Im somewhat impressed

Which solar panel would be best for the Victron 100/20 solar charger controller at 48V system voltage? One that would make as much use of the SCC within solar array 100V Voc and 20A Isc limits at 48V

To select the best solar panel for your Victron 100/20 solar charger controller, you will need to consider the voltage and current requirements of the charger controller and select a solar panel that is compatible with those requirements.
The Victron 100/20 solar charger controller is designed to operate at a maximum solar input voltage of 100V and a maximum solar input current of 20A. However, the system voltage is 48V, so the solar panel needs to be selected accordingly.
To make the best use of the solar charge controller within the limits of the solar array's 100V Voc and 20A Isc, you will need to choose a solar panel that has a maximum power point voltage (Vmp) in the range of 48-60V and a maximum power point current (Imp) in the range of 10-15A. This will ensure that the solar panel operates at its optimal efficiency and provides the maximum amount of power to the charger controller.
Some recommended solar panel options for your system could be the Renogy 300W 48V Monocrystalline Solar Panel or the Canadian Solar 320W 48V Monocrystalline Solar Panel. These panels have a Vmp in the range of 48-50V and an Imp in the range of 9-10A, which makes them compatible with the Victron 100/20 solar charger controller at 48V system voltage. However, it is always best to consult the manufacturer's specifications and consult with a professional to ensure that the solar panel you select is appropriate for your specific system requirements.

Regenerate response
Heh, for a limited amount of set parameters, not bad at all. :)

Thanks for taking the time to try this with the AI. Appreciated.

I asked it about solar tax info, and got incorrect info. I told it that it was wrong, and then it corrected the answer and apologized for the incorrect info.

I asked it about solar tax info, and got incorrect info. I told it that it was wrong, and then it corrected the answer and apologized for the incorrect info.
oh boy
wonder if that would fly with the IRS, but AI told me wrong.....

Very interesting.

That's quite specific, but if you're interested in a real world answer then I have some clients running 100/20's @ 48v with 12 x 100w panels in a 4s3p config. Each panel has a VOC of about 24.3v and 4.9a so 3s4p leaves a lot on the table in low light conditions. The SCC maxes at 1100w so it's only slightly overpaneled and the highest voltage they ever hit was 98v (rarely gets freezing where they are). From experience, you can hit 105v on the 10/20 without opening a portal to hell.

That's quite specific,
Exactly. Wanted to see if the AI was any good with a specific set of parameters. Things in general aren't as challenging.

but if you're interested in a real world answer then I have some clients running 100/20's @ 48v with 12 x 100w panels in a 4s3p config. Each panel has a VOC of about 24.3v and 4.9a so 3s4p leaves a lot on the table in low light conditions. The SCC maxes at 1100w so it's only slightly overpaneled and the highest voltage they ever hit was 98v (rarely gets freezing where they are). From experience, you can hit 105v on the 10/20 without opening a portal to hell.
Yup, that's a real-world answer where it's clear that someone spent some time researching, comparing, and evaluating the panel selection over and over till finding the right panel to utilize the full 100/20 potential.

I truly appreciate the extra part about the actual data from the practical experience with the 100/20@48V with 1kW solar, very interesting.

Now, all we need for the new DIY solar setup revolution is a 48V 50Ah server rack, a lower 48V entry cost for people looking to build either a purpose-built system or a capable system in increments with eyes on future system expansion.

One can dream, right. ;)

Last edited:
Very interesting.

If you want to run the SCC at 75% max load to extend its life, two of these in series would work. VOC is 37v. Otherwise, there are lots of options as 2s2p setup. I usually over panel my controllers but I'm wondering if there is value in keeping the load lower.

ChatGPT is pretty freaking impressive and down right scary at the same time :)

I wanted to play around with the thing but I bailed when it wanted my cell phone number to validate the account. I get enough spam texts these days as it is.

Be ware. What ChatGPT is telling you is probably the right thing or rather probably the most likely answer to your question. "It" hasn't a clue about anything its saying. It's literally a prediction engine, based on similar questions asked in many different places on the internet, including forums like this it "predicts" what the best answer would be for your particulars.

It's been progressively "neutered" by lawyers since it's been released. A few months back it would respond with non boiler plate information about individuals. For example, you could ask it about the most active and most helpful members on forums like these to get lists of user names and post counts etc. You could then get it to cross reference those usernames across forums and other social media and continue to build profiles on people.

Of course some wealthy people didn't like this and didn't like what "sh1t" ChatGPT was spreading around about them, so they sued.

Now it gives a diplomatic answer about only being a poor language model.... blah, blah.

If you ask about Will, I think you get Will's CV missions statement or something built up from his bio and forums/YouTube profiles.

For those who are a little "blase" about their online data footprints and exposure / privacy invasion. Consider this.

ChatGPT stopped feeding/learning in 2019 I believe. Before it was filtered and neutered for legal reasons it had a far wider and far more detailed set of information on individuals.

There are variants and off-spring of the OpenAI tech which are not being run by conscientious companies and do not have such filters and restrictions.

They are learning about YOU right now.

Back