diy solar

diy solar

200 AMP main / meter combo connection

recykeler

Hello,

First time posting here. I Amin the process of planning out Solar / Battery / Backup system for my single family home. Currently looking at approximately 7.2 KWPV with an additional 10-15 kWh batteries. System will be all Enphase iq8M and 2, maybe 3 IQ5P batteries. What I can't seem to find a good answer on is my interconnection to the main panel. I have a 200Amp main/meter combo that feeds a 100 Amp sub panel and a 70 Amp sub panel, plus a few misc breakers in the main.
The Main 200 Amp panel has 200 Amp bus and is center fed. Question. For breaker sizing from combiner box to panel, I believe I will need a 60 Amp breaker? Can I place that at the far end of the panel? In my case the top most part of panel? Do I need to derate the main panel breaker to 175 Amps for the 120 rule? I also plan on adding a 50Amp car charger as well. Still planning the system, for which would take any recs as well.
Thanks so much.

I have attached some pics. Main_panel_open.jpegIMG_9485.jpegkitchen_sub.jpeggarage_sub.jpeg

Attachments

• main_panel_front.jpeg
    main_panel_front.jpeg
    291.8 KB · Views: 1
If your main panel is a standard model with 200A bus bars then the panel would be limited to a 40A solar breaker. Many new Solar Ready panels are set up with 225A bus bars and a 200A Main Breaker which would allow for up to a 70A Solar Breaker.

If your main panel is a standard model with 200A bus bars then the panel would be limited to a 40A solar breaker. Many new Solar Ready panels are set up with 225A bus bars and a 200A Main Breaker which would allow for up to a 70A Solar Breaker.
If I were to replace the main 200Amp breaker with a 175 Amp, in theory I could then add a 60 Amp breaker and still be under the 120% rule.
If I am able to do that it still seems like 175Amps would be fine plenty for my 1900 sq foot house.
Last question. Can you even add a back feed breaker on a panel that has the main breaker in the center like mine as opposed to the opposite end on an end fed panel?

If I am able to do that it still seems like 175Amps would be fine plenty for my 1900 sq foot house.
There is a calculation based on a number of factors like sq ft, # kit circuits, large appliances like range and A/C to determine minimum size electrical service.
Here is an online calculator I found.

Last question. Can you even add a back feed breaker on a panel that has the main breaker in the center like mine as opposed to the opposite end on an end fed panel?
Don't know the answer.

I believe this has been clarified in recent code. It’s a common question.

I don’t know the answer off hand.

Of course you can add backfeed, the question is calculation

Look in 705.12 or mikeholt forum search

Back