diy solar

diy solar

24V or 48V Server Rack?

It can be done. I have a box truck that I power insulation blowing equipment on. you may need to supplement solar with night time charging or possibly still need the generator during the day. I haven't added solar to the box truck yet but the victron has a cool power boost function. I can plug into a wanky old 15a 120v outlet but run my equipment at up to 25 amps. Or possibly even run a for up to 2 hours just off battery (5kw). When I am plugged in I'm not necessarily running the equipment non-stop so it goes back and forth charging and draining. It works awesome. I have everything in an insulated room on the box truck. There a thermostat, relays, and heating elements sandwiched in Sheetmetal as a 12v resistance heater. That keeps the room warm os the battery stays safe, materials like chaulks don't freeze, and tools don't condense and rust. Not sure how well this would all fit in the cab of a truck. I have smaller systems in other work trucks but sounds like you'd need something about this size in practicality

Attachments

• IMG_7269.JPG
    IMG_7269.JPG
    462.1 KB · Views: 7
How is it driven right now? Plugged into grid?

This feels like all the well pump discussions, except not in a well.
I run it from a generator or if the customer has an outlet I'll use that. However, I have found that if I use an extension cord (12ga) sometimes the washer has problems starting up. I would hope a decent 3kW inverter should be able to handle it.

I run it from a generator or if the customer has an outlet I'll use that. However, I have found that if I use an extension cord (12ga) sometimes the washer has problems starting up. I would hope a decent 3kW inverter should be able to handle it.
should be able, I've used 14amps motors on a 2000watt inverter. It doesn't like it but it works. If this is a pretty daily activity I'd recommend going bigger or possibly seeing if you can get a dc powered pressure washer

should be able, I've used 14amps motors on a 2000watt inverter. It doesn't like it but it works. If this is a pretty daily activity I'd recommend going bigger or possibly seeing if you can get a dc powered pressure washer
What I find interesting is that my Firman "inverter generator" is rated at 3,200 running and 4,000 peak watts. It seems to have no problems with large loads and costs less than a high end inverter. So you get the inverter and the gas/propane engine to run it for less than the cost of a mid to high end inverter. ?‍♂️

Returning to the 48V or 24V question that started this thread. I think I'm limited to a 24V system (which isn't a bad thing) based on the roof area on the pickup. I can comfortably get 3x100W panels on my shell which equates to about 66V open circuit. The Growatt 24V has a 30VDC MPPT minimum which will work fine. However the EG4 48V requires 120VDC minimum. Besides the Growatt, any recommendations or experience with a 24V 3kW all in one system?

What I find interesting is that my Firman "inverter generator" is rated at 3,200 running and 4,000 peak watts. It seems to have no problems with large loads and costs less than a high end inverter. So you get the inverter and the gas/propane engine to run it for less than the cost of a mid to high end inverter. ?‍♂️
Is that a PSW?

I think your cost analysis is wrong. You can get a 6K (EG4 6000XP aka Luxpower 6K) and 10K (SRNE one) 120/240 inverter for $1300-1500 (48V systems). Most generators around that wattage are 120V only.

However the EG4 48V requires 120VDC minimum.
That is most likely a 500VDC MPPT. Those have a higher minimum voltage.

If you want to get experimental you can buy optimizers from AliExpress, that are hard coded to step up the voltage to either 60V or 80V max (can't remember, it's dependent on the SolarEdge donor hardware that they're hacking). That will easily raise 2s of 100W panels above 48V threshold.

IIRC it's like $30 each.

Back