diy solar

diy solar

30kWh Envision Import & DIY

parody

I've just started out on the journey to build my own battery, replacing my 3x5kWh of packs with a 2p16s 30kWh one.

I've placed an order with NKON for some absolute bargain Envision Grade B 305Ah cells. The process of getting the order and import right dealing with taxes into the UK correctly has been a bit of a nightmare, but after lots of research and absolutely no help from HMRC I believe I have it right, avoiding double VAT charges. I've had to set up as a sole trader and register for an EU VAT number and HMRC customs declaration account.

The total for 32 cells is going to be about £2200. Fogstar have the same cells but would have cost ~3700 (or 3000 in black friday but I missed it by a few minutes). That's an enormous saving so worth the effort. I did however get a seplos BMS and active balancer from fogstar for £110 in the black friday sale which is a bargain too. I plan to design and print a chassis to hold them in the shape I want, on a wheeled base.

I was a little dubious about Envision to start with, having stuck to EVE and CATL in the past. There isn't much out there about them, but the reviews I have found seem OK, and they seem to have good presence, heritage and recent deals with BMW. NKON are also quite reputable for their support if I do have any issues. I thought I'd colate what I have found on Envision in one place:

Seller links:

Reviews:
Some on NKON, with a link to www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/121012673/#Comment_121012673

Envision Info and news:

I'll try post some updates as I go over the next few months designing and making this!

The process of getting the order and import right dealing with taxes into the UK correctly has been a bit of a nightmare, but after lots of research and absolutely no help from HMRC I believe I have it right, avoiding double VAT charges. I've had to set up as a sole trader and register for an EU VAT number and HMRC customs declaration account.

I'm interested to see how this goes! ??

The process of getting the order and import right dealing with taxes into the UK correctly has been a bit of a nightmare, but after lots of research and absolutely no help from HMRC I believe I have it right, avoiding double VAT charges. I've had to set up as a sole trader and register for an EU VAT number and HMRC customs declaration account.
All sounds interesting.

But surely, if you purchase from NKON from the UK, they would not charge VAT as it is an export outside of the EU - then you pay UK VAT on import? So no double charges?

All sounds interesting.

But surely, if you purchase from NKON from the UK, they would not charge VAT as it is an export outside of the EU - then you pay UK VAT on import? So no double charges?
This was also my expectation. However they said they cannot sell at zero rate VAT without being a B2B sale, having a valid VAT number. This didn't make sense to me, as if (more like when) I'm recharged VAT and duty to receive them, I'll only be chasing them for the refund of Netherlands VAT.

Anyway, it turns out they need a GB EORI number, and anyone can apply for that, even as an individual.

Hi there.. waiting for some 305s from Nkon,they were due to ship around now.. just wondering if you’re waiting on the same shipment.. est shipping 16/12...

I've just started out on the journey to build my own battery, replacing my 3x5kWh of packs with a 2p16s 30kWh one.

I've placed an order with NKON for some absolute bargain Envision Grade B 305Ah cells. The process of getting the order and import right dealing with taxes into the UK correctly has been a bit of a nightmare, but after lots of research and absolutely no help from HMRC I believe I have it right, avoiding double VAT charges. I've had to set up as a sole trader and register for an EU VAT number and HMRC customs declaration account.

The total for 32 cells is going to be about £2200. Fogstar have the same cells but would have cost ~3700 (or 3000 in black friday but I missed it by a few minutes). That's an enormous saving so worth the effort. I did however get a seplos BMS and active balancer from fogstar for £110 in the black friday sale which is a bargain too. I plan to design and print a chassis to hold them in the shape I want, on a wheeled base.

I was a little dubious about Envision to start with, having stuck to EVE and CATL in the past. There isn't much out there about them, but the reviews I have found seem OK, and they seem to have good presence, heritage and recent deals with BMW. NKON are also quite reputable for their support if I do have any issues. I thought I'd colate what I have found on Envision in one place:

Seller links:

Reviews:
Some on NKON, with a link to www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/121012673/#Comment_121012673

Envision Info and news:

I'll try post some updates as I go over the next few months designing and making this!
Just wondering if you are also waiting on shipment from NKON for 305s.. shipping est. 16/12.. looking forward to the build..

Seller links:

Reviews:

Envision Info and news:

I emailed them and they said they didnt ship cells to the UK

Seller links:

Reviews:

Envision Info and news:

You'll be very happy with the result

I think they’re an incredible deal at the price NKON is retailing for... have you experience of them yourself may I ask..?
Yes he has... see his posting here (and the whole thread for that matter)

Yes he has... see his posting here (and the whole thread for that matter)
Brilliant... thanx for letting me know..thumbs up for the 305s.. hopefully the Icelandic eruption won’t effect their delivery.. I purchased a new multimeter.. just for my new little babies ... don’t want to rely on my cheapo dmms for top balancing...?

Yes, have a mason pack filled with them since last summer, just ordered 32 more cells
Yes, have a mason pack filled with them since last summer, just ordered 32 more cells
Thats good to hear.. too good a deal to miss out on.. I was hoping to hear someone give them a thumbs up.. considering they’re a Japanese company I thought they must be ok..

Hi there.. waiting for some 305s from Nkon,they were due to ship around now.. just wondering if you’re waiting on the same shipment.. est shipping 16/12...
Yes sounds like the same shipment! TBH I'm not expecting them before christmas, whether it be nkon sending them or customs delaying it. How are you dealing with the import, or are you not in the UK?

Last edited:
I emailed them and they said they didnt ship cells to the UK
They also said this to me to start with, saying about some restrictions on batteries. I asked them to check again as I've had battery deliveries from abroad before, and then they came back with the DHL offer. Their website certainly doesn't allow you to make an order to the UK.

UPDATE 1...

Last week (after several incorrect delivery issues) I received the Seplos BMS and active balancer from fogstar. First, I received a JK... and then I received the BMS without the active balancer! All good in the end. It's very frustrating having this and no cells!

Attachments

• IMG_1163.jpg
    IMG_1163.jpg
    869 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Yes sounds like the same shipment! TBH I'm not expecting them before christmas, whether it be nkon sending them or customs delaying it. How are you dealing with the import, or are you not in the UK?
I’m in Ireland... so NKON is handy ... I was hoping to get them before Christmas, but things have a habit of going either awol or at a snail like pace this time of year.... Icelandic volcanoes etc..? don’t help...?.. I wonder if our cells are flying or sailing..?

Back