diy solar

diy solar

60 amp mppt Amazon deal, 50% off

I have the identical more expensive blue version of that charger. I believe it has changed, BUT my version from 2019 is NOT three stage. It is only 2 stage, i.e., CC/CV, no float.

I have the identical more expensive blue version of that charger. I believe it has changed, BUT my version from 2019 is NOT three stage. It is only 2 stage, i.e., CC/CV, no float.
Right now it looks like the blue version is the same price. Anyone know if they changed it to include float? It is not explicitly mentioned anywhere.

This popped up on my Amazon feed today 3/22/24.

Limited-time deal: 60A MPPT Solar Charge Controller 12V 24V 36V 48V Auto Battery Regulator, Solar Panel Max 150V Input for Lithium, Sealed, Gel, and Flooded Batteries (Yellow) https://a.co/d/elcOd9P
Not bad deal.

Are they worth anything?

Do they do what’s needed?

In for one, I'm in the middle to moving to a 48V system but not there yet, and this will hopefully get me up and partially running on my existing 24V system until I gather all the stuff I need for the new system.

Edit: I found this video, guy seems reasonably happy with it. Also found reviews on other sites which sells this unit and it seems to be generally well received, at this price I think it's no brainer to at least have around as a backup, assuming it works:

I wonder if there's any difference between the blue and yellow...besides the obvious.

I got one of the blue ones as a backup in case the mppt in my Growatt ever craps out. It will hopefully stay in the box for a long time.

@sunshine_eggo - Being only 2 stage does it supply power to the DC load after the battery is full as a dump load? My brain sees it like a switch I suppose....
I'd like to know this too, and to learn how to tell this from reading specs of a CC. Are the stages you are referring to for charging? And how does that affect how it provides power to the load before/after bat is full — what are the possibilities here, a "dump load" and ..?

Mine is CC/CV.

Charge to set voltage. Hold voltage for as long as it can.

Nothing in the specs clued me in when I bought it. The manual wasn't available online.

A 3 stage charger should list at least bulk/boost/absorption (3 names for same thing) and float voltages.

Mine is CC/CV.

Nothing in the specs clued me in when I bought it. The manual wasn't available online.

A 3 stage charger should list at least bulk/boost/absorption (3 names for same thing) and float voltages.

Well, that's not going to work too well for lead acid without a way to at least end Absorb automatically.

And maybe only some lithiums ?

boB

Well, that's not going to work too well for lead acid without a way to at least end Absorb automatically.

And maybe only some lithiums ?

boB

Very correct. I manually changed it daily. I set it to 28.8V until it got down to about 10A and then set to to 27.2V for the AGM. When I went with NMC, it was perfect. :p

Mine is CC/CV.

Did you happen to use it on LFP too? I normally charge at 3.55vpc which will basicallyt do absorb if the unit can switch to CV, I guess it's just missing float. Will I be able to run loads (off the CC) once battery voltage prompts CV mode?

Did you happen to use it on LFP too?

No.

I normally charge at 3.55vpc which will basicallyt do absorb if the unit can switch to CV, I guess it's just missing float. Will I be able to run loads (off the CC) once battery voltage prompts CV mode?

I'd run it to 3.40V. CV has no end, so it will hold it at 3.55V or whatever your charged voltage is.

Keep in mind that mine is from 2019. I believe the newer ones are 3 stage.

Back