diy solar

diy solar

6000XP AC (Grid) charge setting not behaving as expected?

dfw_dude

Got my system up and running, zero real issues so far, everything is running smooth from charging the car, to powering house basics :)

I have my 6000xp with grid AC input available, no need for super rapid charging, 30A breaker, 8AWG wire, the setting: "AC Charge Battery Current(A)" had a default value of 24A (which is perfect, for the breaker size I selected)

When doing a "Quick Charge" to test everything, it accepts the command, I hear the relays click, it starts pulling grid power to charge everything as expected, all working well, except the rate doesn't line up with the value set.

at the 24A default setting it was pulling 2700W from the grid (240V * 11.25A), as a test I bumped it to 32A and it's charging at 3167W.

What am I missing here? is the value it wants referring to the battery amps? and not grid based amps? I'm running paralleled EG4 indoor batteries

The wire and breaker I have on my main panel feeding it can sustain 5760W of charging into it as it sits, so I'm missing a piece of the puzzle in my mind. Want to understand it before I start punching in numbers and playing around. In the web based controls the box says values range from 0 to 100.

Thanks!

not sure what box you are talking about, but it sounds like a SOC state of charge control.
screen shot attached with highlighted area -- SOC control is separate and when I tested that it works as expected, kicks on at 20% and will go until 50%, no issues there.

the value of 24 in the box is applied no matter if it auto charges itself at 20% or if you hit the quick charge button.

Just hoping to get some clarification on how/what the amp rating in the highlighted box functions as or fits into expected charge rates, based on what I read it seemed like an easy way to tell the unit "you are good to pull this many amps at 240V from the grid, but actual numbers I'm seeing don't line up at all.

Attachments

• 1234.JPG
    1234.JPG
    57.3 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
yes, only thing you can do is make sure the loads with charging are lower than 24 amps
Thanks for the reply -- since the system manages everything going into the battery, and based on my setup/breaker/wire, it would seem like I could punch that number up to around 85A and be totally fine? (48V * 85A) would translate to 4080W, so at my main panel it would be 17A @ 240V, totally fine for 8AWG.

Thanks for the reply -- since the system manages everything going into the battery, and based on my setup/breaker/wire, it would seem like I could punch that number up to around 85A and be totally fine? (48V * 85A) would translate to 4080W, so at my main panel it would be 17A @ 240V, totally fine for 8AWG.
Yup, I use a 30 amp breaker and charge at 70 battery amps all the time. Again, the amps in ALL of the 6000xp settings pertains to the battery amps.
The reason I only do 70 is to leave room for the loads that may be running.. For instance if you battery charge at 4080 watts and have a 2500 watt load, you may trip the breaker. No one wants that. I dont think the 6000xp would either.

Yup, I use a 30 amp breaker and charge at 70 battery amps all the time. Again, the amps in ALL of the 6000xp settings pertains to the battery amps.
The reason I only do 70 is to leave room for the loads that may be running.. For instance if you battery charge at 4080 watts and have a 2500 watt load, you may trip the breaker. No one wants that. I dont think the 6000xp would either.

Now it's starting to make sense! In that I've been fiddling with it as we post back and forth here. As a test went and plugged my car in to charge extra (I have it limited to draw 16A @ 240V maximum) and I see now how the inverter logic behaves in that once you hit quick charge, all loads +_ charging are then routed to grid power.

Which makes sense because when I set charge limit to 70A, hit quick charge, I saw grid draw instantly spike to 7000W, I instantly stopped everything as to not trip a breaker or heat anything up.

That was the missing puzzle piece -- it all kinda clicks now in my head on how quick charge behaves. And I know one hit of the button is only good for 1 hour then then (for my system at least) the normal SOC% parameters kick back in.

Back