diy solar

diy solar

6000xp total power pass through questions

ATFink

Hello all,

I am considering purchasing a 6000xp primarily because it has a grid pass through option (off-grid = no bi-directional tie, so no permit required in my area). The 25 amps a single unit can provide is great, but simply would not fully suit my needs on its own as of right now (appliance efficiency upgrades planned, but will likely be 2-3 years before they're all installed). So a few questions regarding the unit's output capabilities:

1: The spec sheet states a 37.5 amp max AC input yet this is lower than the 50 amp AC byass figure. What is the cause of the discrepancy? Is there another AC input besides Grid or Generator?

2: Assuming full utilization of 6kw from DC sources, would the grid bypass assist with inverter output? So, 25 amps from the inverter + 50 amps from the grid (75 amps continuous total)?

3: If the batteries reach 100% SOC prior to the sunset and I design an 8-9kw PV system, how would the system handle excess load if my house is only drawing 2-2.5kw (This could happen if the AC is the only load at some time after I upgrade the unit)? I know a 9kw PV system wouldn't produce anywhere near 9kw an hour or 2 prior to sunset, but attempting to generate 4-5kw does seem possible. How much can the unit "clip"? Would the heat dissipate at the panels, at the inverter, or both? Am I fundamentally mistaken about clipping simply being a heat generation process?

Clipping is just, not using all available current.
There's no heat generated in the equipment.
Just like plugging a phone charger into a 15 amp receptacle circuit.
It's only going to draw what it uses.

Clipping is just, not using all available current.
There's no heat generated in the equipment.
Just like plugging a phone charger into a 15 amp receptacle circuit.
It's only going to draw what it uses.
I thought if there was direct insolation on the panels they would attempt to push current regardless of attached loads, but it does make sense it would simply leave an elevated Voltage presence. I suppose that's all voltage really is, potential for electron flow stored recognized as a differences in charge density. I guess that's why Voc is as high a voltage as you can expect at a given temperature, the electrons on the + and - leads are as saturated and unsaturated as the panels can pump apart.

So if demand < potential that can be supplied then the excess energy the sun shines on the panels that would normally cause electron band gap jumps will simply excite the silicon without popping off electrons. Sounds like greater panel heating in that scenario, but that's not a problem.

Last edited:
I believe the 37.5 input is when inverting and or charging. This unit will not blend ac bypass and inverter so it's either 25 amps inverter or 50 amps in bypass. As stated by others it will switch to bypass if overloaded while inverting.

Ok, so 50 amps maximum through the unit regardless of the source of supplied current.

Shoot, I really need about 70-75 amps passthrough to make this an option today. I guess I need to wait until I make a few efficiency upgrades (2 of the following: AC, dryer, water heater) first.

Sounds like you need the 18kpv inverter. It can blend the ac bypass with inverter power. It's a 12k watt hybrid inverter with grid tie capabilities.

True but he said he needed 70-75 amps so that would be three. I went with two 6000xps myself.

True but he said he needed 70-75 amps so that would be three. I went with two 6000xps myself.
That would be the highest reasonable continuous load as of right now. Axing the electric dryer for LG's new heat pump dryer would cost just over $1k and reduce maximum continuous demand by probably 13-15 amps.

I would do that to reduce inverter, pv, and battery requirements in one relatively cheap swoop.

I'm pretty sure 2x 6000xp units would handle a 10% over current for a little while. If not, one or both would switch to bypass and that'd be okay for 30 minutes to an hour.

For passthrough 50a/each. so 100amps
Opps! Be careful.

Per 6000XP spec:

AC bypass:
50A @ 240Volts (12,000W)

AC Input:
37.5A @ 240Volts (25A @ 240Volts for inverter output + 12.5A @ 240Volts for charging battery)

AC Output (nominal continuous):
25A @ 240Volts (6000W) -or- 25A @ 120Volts (3000W per leg)

Opps! Be careful.

Per 6000XP spec:

AC bypass:
50A @ 240Volts (12,000W)

AC Input:
37.5A @ 240Volts (25A @ 240Volts for inverter output + 12.5A @ 240Volts for charging battery)

AC Output (nominal continuous):
25A @ 240Volts (6000W) -or- 25A @ 120Volts (3000W per leg)

Yup, 50a for each inverter, not 37.5a

So 50x2 = 100a

instead of 37.5x2 = 75a

for 2 inverters in parallel

Back