diy solar

diy solar

ABYC Fusing changes RE MRBF & Class T ???

FilterGuy

Solar Engineering Consultant - EG4 and Consumers
Does anyone have insight into changes coming in the ABYC (American Boat and Yacht Council) wiring standard?

I was recently told by a Victron Ambasidor that the ABYC is going to change their spec to allow MRBF fuses on single LiFePO4 batteries but still require Class T for multiple batteries in parallel. The implication is that 10KVA AIC is sufficient for single batteries but when LiFePO4 batteries are in parallel, a higher AIC is needed.

Can anyone confirm this? If so, can you provide any studies or background that this decision is based on?

Gosh, I wish someone would reply (with an answer), unlike my reply with more questions. I have a single LiFePO on one string and 2x AGM’s on a second string.
T-class has been a rat maze for me (I’m the rat)...with blade type, with at least 2 different physical sizes, and non-blade type, maybe several sizes of those. I feel the smallest Blue Sea 110a is too big for 6awg wiring, given that the trip curve shows that it wouldn’t blow at 110a, but maybe after 8 min of 160a…hence concern for 6awg. I’ve seen smaller (loweramp) T-class, but haven’t put all the holder/fuses pieces of the puzzle together.

so, a 60a MRBF might be appropriate; that should be plenty high to avoid nuisance blows, but low enough to protect Home Depot 6awg (though hoping to replace with Ancor Marine 6awg.

I apologize, this was probably a thread hi-jack.

This is the only thing recent that I can find on the topic.

Looks like Rod Collins is the owner/operator of Marine How To:

Back