diy solar

diy solar

Advice on setting up battery charging from VE MultiPlus-II 12V/24V 3kVA 2x120V using VictronConnect

naomig

Hi,
First post-

I believe that I will use MultiPlus-II 12V/24V 3kVA 2x120V for 3 purposes
  • inverter
  • power load from grid
  • charge battery from gird
When I get into VictronConnect I pressume I can program the details for these branches. Is there a guide to VictronConnect specific for this inverter and LiFePo4 batteries.
I see the https://www.victronenergy.com/support-and-downloads/software but this seems pretty general.
What did others with a similar setup do?

Hi,
First post-

I believe that I will use MultiPlus-II 12V/24V 3kVA 2x120V for 3 purposes
  • inverter
  • power load from grid
  • charge battery from gird
When I get into VictronConnect I pressume I can program the details for these branches. Is there a guide to VictronConnect specific for this inverter and LiFePo4 batteries.
I see the https://www.victronenergy.com/support-and-downloads/software but this seems pretty general.
What did others with a similar setup do?

To program a Victron VE.Bus inverter, you must have one of the following:

MK3-USB-C adapter + victronconnect on phone, Mac or PC
MK3-USB adapter + victronconnect OR Veconfigure 3 on Windows PC or Victronconnect on Mac
GX device with VRM setup, internet connection and Veconfigure 3 on Windows PC

Last edited:
I've used the MK3-USB with an Android phone, a Mac laptop, and a Windows PC. VictronConnect on the Mac laptop never felt like it worked well to me, it would disconnect while I was editing settings. This was several years ago, so maybe things have changed. The Android phone and Windows PC worked fine though.

Yes, there are a TON of settings for the Multiplus II in VictronConnect. I think there's a user's guide somewhere describing all the settings, but I'm not someplace I can search for the PDF I downloaded. You can do all the things you're talking about. Max current from AC (including none), max charge current to the batteries, etc. Output AC voltage (so you could output 120 or 124VAC if you want), more importantly, you can control the bulk charge voltage, float voltage, low voltage disconnect, etc. For those values, I asked my battery manufacturer for the recommended settings.

I've used the MK3-USB with an Android phone, a Mac laptop, and a Windows PC. VictronConnect on the Mac laptop never felt like it worked well to me, it would disconnect while I was editing settings. This was several years ago, so maybe things have changed. The Android phone and Windows PC worked fine though.

Yes, there are a TON of settings for the Multiplus II in VictronConnect. I think there's a user's guide somewhere describing all the settings, but I'm not someplace I can search for the PDF I downloaded. You can do all the things you're talking about. Max current from AC (including none), max charge current to the batteries, etc. Output AC voltage (so you could output 120 or 124VAC if you want), more importantly, you can control the bulk charge voltage, float voltage, low voltage disconnect, etc. For those values, I asked my battery manufacturer for the recommended settings.

I've edited my list. I forgot the other options. Thank you.

VictronConnect is sufficient for all programming except for:
  1. Complex parallel inverter configurations (you can do simple single, split and I think 3-phase configs).
  2. Assistants.
There has been much disappointment around the VE.Bus smart dongle. It allows full monitoring of the inverter on VC, changing AC input current and turning the unit to ON/OFF/CHARGER ONLY mode. Nothing else.

Back