diy solar

diy solar

America's melting pot

it'll do wheelies :oops: if a ESC parameter is set too high like 15000.

IMG_4495.JPG

don't think I want to go much faster on this thing yet. 15000 motor rpm settings = 28mph

IMG_4496.JPG

Last edited:
it'll do wheelies :oops: if a ESC parameter is set too high like 15000.

View attachment 212301

don't think I want to go much faster on this thing yet. 15000 motor rpm settings = 28mph

View attachment 212304

Put tractor like brake on it one per rear wheel …. To brake steer while doing wheelie….. Mount a monitor and camera to see - get angle right 🤣 seat belt keep from falling out - have a blast. 🥸🤣😁

D71, even 10 years ago that would have been the plan, but not today, getting old slows me down :cry:
Agreed. The aches and pains from injuries that happened many years ago slow me down.

Before my father died he said, “you have to be tough to get old.” 🤣

stopped at farm&fleet to pick up a cheap boat seat, should make testing
more comfortable, old bony asses need padding :LOL:

IMG_4497.JPG

and because I got some cushion now I had to take it off road, and do the hill climbing :)

IMG_4500.JPG

going to need some wheel wells before I do much more cross country.

Last edited:
Reactions: D71
D71, when you said the body filler set up fast, you were understating it :oops:

View attachment 212920

View attachment 212921
It looks like you got color right.

You can normally sand it after 15 minutes with 80grit to shape. If gets very difficult to work after it has setup for a while so recommend Mix on site Apply and don’t over work the bondo….. it will only rip tear get air bubbles even more. Those cheap cutting boards-mats like sold at dollar store work well. Don’t use card board box have had it will do weird stuff. Pulls out hardner and fiber from card boards gets in.

Mixing fiberglass resin in bondo. I do this as last step I’ve Never used it as first coat unless filling a scratch. This makes the putty glaze that they sell to ppl as seperate product. If they - ppl buying only knew would be mad. 🤣 Don’t do more then 10% resin This Gets rid of pinholes…..that paint won’t fill - hide.

That guy in second video uses card boards which pulls the liquids and hardener out. Better to use A paper plate or slick side of a cereal box - works well Those plastic disposable cutting boards-mats - some ppl use them to separate their battery cells when building packs. Put them on old clip board mix…. after filler dries can flex the plastic - dried filler comes off and have it to mix on for next time.

Other then the stink it is fun. Beats doing lead work as filler on old cars. 🤣

That was a big tree. Was it an oak tree?
D71, not sure what it was, but with it gone my panels are much happier. :)

by the millions of leaves I had to rake for the last 20 years I think it's was a Scarlet oak (I googled tree leaf)

Last edited:
while I'm waiting it's time to start looking at electronic controls.
because I tend to convolute things and because I have them sitting around
I was going to have an ardunio nano as the controller.
Capture463.PNG

but it looks like I can get some useful information from the VESC ESC so this would make a good first Pi application
because I have a number of 10.1 touchscreen displays hanging around waiting to be used.

Capture464.PNG

Capture465.PNG

but cause I have the arduino I'll start with that because I have a number of 7" touchscreens
for the arduino to display information.

IMG_4521.JPG

for the on/off switch

Capture466.PNG

for power disconnect 2 of these in series in case one fails because of welded contacts

I have to take these apart when I get them because the coil leads are crimped and can fail,
I solder them so I don't have to wonder if they will fail or not.

Capture467.PNG

IMG_4524.JPG

IMG_4529.JPG

IMG_4530.JPG

Last edited:
the next thing to look at is the throttle control.

plan A is to use the current 1960's setup on the golf cart.
one peddle for both speed and brake.

IMG_4537.JPG

I found one of these.

IMG_4535.JPG

because the vesc needs 0-5k ohm and the one I got is 0-34k ohm
I added some resistance to make it 0-5k ohm.

IMG_4538.JPG

I do like liquid tape :love:

IMG_4539.JPG

it has a limit switch that will work good for brake lights :)
I added 48Vdc to 12Vdc buck converter to be able to use standard automotive lighting.

IMG_4540.JPG

Last edited:
the arduino's only job to start with is per charging the vesc ESC and the buck converter.
the E-Stop switch only turns on the arduino.

I have a few of these solid state relays that the ardunio can work with.

IMG_4541.JPG

plan A is to use one with a 250 ohm 10W resister to per-charge for 3 seconds, then have the arduino
turn on the power relays with the other one.

I should be ready to try my hand at painting in 2 weeks.

View attachment 212951

because I'm doing it outside I'm thinking this should help.

View attachment 212953
Paint in middle day when bugs are not out as much. In the evening - late in evening they will dive bomb your paint so watch see how bugs are out in your area. There is something in wet paint that makes them want to suicide and roll in it. 😡. Pollen will get it too. I painted few cars under shade trees. Fresh bird poop on fresh paint is a doo doo over pita. 😳

They sell these blow up paint booths can set up in yard now. Seen them under $1000…. Some ppl flip over that price but pro shops can charge up several thousand just to spray out.

There is youtube video of car with bugs all over the wet paint. They are biggest enemies. At some point the expense is going over board and call it as good enough is good enough. Lot of ppl are having cars WRAPPED now.

For your example:
If you try to seal it up to much the overspray will be awful…….biggie is if it keep bugs out. Initial Spray light coat let it get - not stringing - want it sticky when touch it near taped area. - out of sight. Then go heavier with next coat paint watch to see if flowing do 50-75% over lap gun about 6-7 inches surface and parallel. If you try to hammer it on first coat will get runs especially on vertical surfaces. If you don’t let it get sticky vs strings when touched next coat it will do the SLIDE on vertical surfaces…big mess. Painting is fun just simple rules. Every body imperfection will show and paint is like a magnifier for showing it. Good body work makes a slick paint job.
Wear nitrile gloves…. Latex is like wearing nothing at all….paint solvents go right through latex gloves. Nitrile will eventual get hard and crack so might want to have more 1 pair. They use to say could dip finger in paint thinner and it would show up in liver within 30 seconds to 1 minute.
Women put acetone all over their fingers removing old nail polish. 🤡

Spray brake cleaner like O'Reilly sells makes cleaning paint gun easy when done. Look at chemicals in it as to why. 🤣 Those colored paint guns sometimes get the color-coating sticky comes off. Why I like chrome, polished aluminum or natural aluminum. Painted paint guns sticks to the gloves. 🤣 Watch your hose control it with free hand. Dragging hose through fresh paint is a drag. 😞

Spray cans are a rip off….mostly solvents and thinners or we could never get it out of cans. They are handy….. Do not paint in hot direct sun. If get surface - to hot then paint will not flow out when applied. Orange peel alligator look

I use to buy the cheap mini guns from harbor freight to spray things then throw away vs continued cleaning…after using them few times the can of spray brake cleaner cost almost as much. 🤣 Solvent burns eyes like crazy can blind. Keep water bottle handy. Wear eye protection .

What gun is that…. looks like harbor freight?

while I'm waiting it's time to start looking at electronic controls.
because I tend to convolute things and because I have them sitting around
I was going to have an ardunio nano as the controller.
View attachment 212983

but it looks like I can get some useful information from the VESC ESC so this would make a good first Pi application
because I have a number of 10.1 touchscreen displays hanging around waiting to be used.

View attachment 212989

View attachment 212990

but cause I have the arduino I'll start with that because I have a number of 7" touchscreens
for the arduino to display information.

View attachment 213005

for the on/off switch

View attachment 212991

for power disconnect 2 of these in series in case one fails because of welded contacts

I have to take these apart when I get them because the coil leads are crimped and can fail,
I solder them so I don't have to wonder if they will fail or not.

View attachment 212993

View attachment 213040

View attachment 213062

View attachment 213063
Welded contacts are pita and cause majors problems on locomotives. Big power contactor for electric driven air compressors caused even more. We had them wired low speed and high speed and varied with engine speed of engine for companion alt out put. Trying to design circuits with fail safes to fail safes is a huge task. I remember class they showed video of engineering fails… sometimes when we think got it worked out still fail.

Harley used those small micro relays modules in start circuit to save handle bar start switches from going out. The module relays then started going out. 🤣 ppl started carrying spares. I said screw that and was about go parallel with them but went back to old basic…I bought a push button for starter to push in starter solenoid manually. 🤡
The old 1956 chevy truck had foot starter next to gas pedal - mechanical ….starter solenoid engagement.
Example - he talks to much..but info based. 🤣

The old mechanical is almost guaranteed to not fail … 🤡🤣 barring dead battery. Nothing worse then stuck starter that won’t disengage.

Hummm starter on turbine engines stay engaged and we flipped switch to turn them into generators. Motors are generators and vs versus for dc machines depending on wiring. 🤣 we made dynamic braking with the dc traction motors by changing wiring with relays and power contactors. 👀
Kick starting the old harley or Indian Chief was art form…like doing rain dance. 🤣 Multiple ways get things done simple is often best… kick starting a bike that didn’t want to crank was tough.

Double check yourself with everything. Get those brakes on there too. 🤣

Lot of ppl are having cars WRAPPED now.
D71, the thought did enter my mind, but I have never tried my hand at pneumatic spray
painting before, had it done, but have not tried it myself. seems like a good project to
test myself. if your not learning new things your going backwards IMO.

D71, the thought did enter my mind, but I have never tried my hand at pneumatic spray
painting before, had it done, but have not tried it myself. seems like a good project to
test myself. if your not learning new things your going backwards IMO.
I hate spray cans … buy paint and use with spray with gun for most things. More mess but better results. Cheaper those paint cans that stop spraying when about still full are pisser. They are handy though.

That harbor freight gun is copy of very old SATA paint gun …. They use lot of air as told you. Lot of over spray. Can throw it away when done at only $20 bucks in todays money. They use to sell them ~ $8-$10 on discount. Bought one with coupon for $6 long time ago. 🤣 adjust it ~35 psi on gage with trigger pulled get a feel for it. Can - recommend add water to cup just make sure clean it all out. Water and paint dont mix well cause boat load troubles. Make sure drain air compressor tank before start. Crazy part most new automotive water based paints are nasty mix of old and new…need lot of dry process. Doesn’t work well for diy.

If you get run - you probably will…can razor blade trick cut, water sand, and buff them out. Why recommend paint hardner speeds drying makes better chemical - paint. Urethane Single Stage is better but more Isocyanates need good mask seal.. I hope you are doing solid paint and not pearl or metallics. They are considerable harder to spray and lay out on bigger surfaces. Mottling and blotchy are normal problems. Simple Solid colors are much better easier. Watch videos on youtube….use grain of salt look at their experience too.

Btw take out needle before removing nozzle under air cap on paint gun. The factory on those guns went crazy tightening them …. Be very careful dropping these component on hard surfaces can damage them when cleaning. Make them have weird spray patterns.

Back