diy solar

diy solar

America's melting pot

IMG_6091.jpeg
One of the problems with pvc it breaks down when subjected to UV single sheath. I know thhn wire outer coating comes off in uv exposure. The insulation is usually nylon over pvc and it is suppose to be in conduit. That nylon is suppose to add protection for the pull. PVC breaks down under UV. Probably last rest of our life time though.

PV wire has timned wire, dual sheath, and suppose to-be UV resistant… again the wire is tinned too.

IMG_6092.jpeg

Hahaha I wouldn’t spray it in the house take months get smell out. I knew it would be expensive but never know. Paints have 2x or 3x gone up. Just paint for a car is $300-$400 for cheap stuff.

You need a better mask then one in picture for paints. That one in your picture I used for sanding fiberglass-bondos. .

These are better for paint. The filters serious degrade over time. Like the filter is our military mask.
[~
IMG_6094.jpeg
IMG_6095.png

I thought it was funny watching ppl during covid try to mask up and be so careful. Then grab mask touch all over them on outside and fold up put in pocket reuse over and over. The contaminates if exposed are all over outside. Not that a piece cloth would stop it. I knew a guy sprayed with t shirt material around his face and sanded with nothing on face. He died of cancer around 35. He was great autobody guy. Paininting and such was hobby…. I worked at Macco spray painting long long time ago for few months. You could get car painted for $300-$500 🤣 painting was fun and decent money for second job.

Anyway for covid scare the only mask that would protect would be full face to protect eyes. You should probably not wear them if have heart or breathing problems. So you might want to be real careful. These are usually 2 stage filter. Pre-filter then main filter. I have known ppl that paint with silly paper covid mask like so many ppl used….they blew lot of paint particles out of their nose.
The N95 works ok for sanding if fitment is good. BTW I’ve used some good electric da too. Hook and Loop mean you can clean paper…the air da - got several high dollar blow dust around with exhaust. That shit - dust gets everywhere. Air DA = Air Hogs big compressor.

Last edited:
Sweet information D71, Thanks!

today's task is to remove the stock motor/speed controller and see if the stock
brakes can be repaired.(I have my doubts, I put disk brakes on my bike and was very happy with them)

I would also like to get a cover made for it so I can move it out of my workshop(not a lot of space)

Last edited:
Reactions: D71
Technology is great.. Amazing the cost difference. I paid lot of money for fresh air supply about 20 - 30 years ago. It was no where near this good. But better than regular mask. Certifications run prices up.
IMG_6098.jpeg

No certifications
IMG_6097.jpeg

This is about like old one that I have for electric da. It works well. Not sure on this one and the price is 2x-3x higher then paid for mine. The hook and loop sand paper is great. Try 80 grit for removing old paint might have step down. Don’t use chemical paint stripper on fiberglass as it can contaminate and weaken old fiberglas. Do more harm than good. Have adhesion problems . Make sure to clean it real good with like dawn soap, flush well, and let dry …..wipe down with wax grease remover get rid of contaminates use it sparingly one light damn cloth one dry wiping. Let dry again…… before start…. If not might grind contaminates into fiberglass. Working with glass is pita. Boat repair is best sources on youtube … if you want to cut-sand and buff then gel coat sprayed on might work too. Most fiberglass like boats is a gel coat finish vs paint.

Boat repair videos are best.

IMG_6099.jpeg

I have a lowes 15 miles from me, that sander looks like it just right for the job. :love:

I adjusted the brakes and they seem to work good, no scrapping noises at least.
I'm still going to figure putting disk rotors on the jack shaft I'm adding just in case.

IMG_4436.JPG

IMG_4437.JPG

Last edited:
I have a lowes 15 miles from me, that sander looks like it just right for the job. :love:

I adjusted the brakes and they seem to work good, no scrapping noises at least.
I'm still going to figure putting disk rotors on the jack shaft I'm adding just in case.

View attachment 209914

View attachment 209915

Just remember further away from wheel for brake less effect and more stress on drive train. Think it was jaguar that moved brakes inboard next to rear end chunk lessen sprung weight. Problem was the braking force and sent through half shafts and universal joints that would sometimes break. The car would spin out. The Hummer had similar problem in dirt when get stuck if got big tires spinning and hit brakes could break u joints - cv and twist axles.

how fast do you plan to go? I like disc brakes on my bicycle. 🤡🤣 Make sure you shim the calipers to disc properly or get grab on disc or bad pad wear. 🤣🤡
Drum brakes have lasted a long time on back of modern trucks….they still use drums on some of them Especially big trucks.
That new motor and battery pack is going to move unless you regulate it back.

That new motor and battery pack is going to move unless you regulate it back.
D71, in the ESC I can limit it's current and rpms, the main reason for adding gear reduction is to limit starting torque
on the motor that should help with range of my battery pack. with the bigger motor I may look at adding some steel
supports to the current motor brackets, going from 1.5hp to 7hp, and 1500rpm to 5000rpm. :unsure:

crap! my boss just got back from a month long vacation, now I'm going to have to work
again. but I did it some panel pointed at the sun :)

There is one buggy brand Yamaha or club that used shear bolt setup in rear end they could only take so much before shearing. Not sure about your buggy.

IMG_6102.jpeg

I have to wonder how that would work?

IMG_6103.png

I put one of these on a big bore motorcycle that I built ….it was fast off the line.

We geared our locomotive electric traction motors for different duties…passenger high speed or freight heavy pulls.

Example old dc motor setup. The newer 3 phase ac is more in-depth. Getting an ac traction motors to jog - cable - move locomotive around with 64dc was a bitch. They have to be able move loco with diesel shut down… the old dc were simple. 🤡 🤣

Local buggy speed is - think 30mph here.

D71, that cute, I was just in a factory that made train rail switching tracks yesterday, small world.
they need an inches per minute display on a few of their big old planer mills.

Capture437.PNG

There is one buggy brand Yamaha or club that used shear bolt setup in rear end they could only take so much before shearing. Not sure about your buggy.
D71, the only visible limiter I can find is a Belt Tensioner
better to smoke a belt then break a differential I think.

IMG_4438.JPG

Green Power - Solar output was pathetic and non-productive today. Hmmm…… can you imagine if this was our only power generation?
We might become sun worshippers.
My power drains are just my system idling and the Raspberry PI 400…got my monitor plugged to grid. I’m not using my system for anything else. 12% off 100% SOC for system. ~88% SOC on batteries was start this morning.

IMG_6109.jpeg

IMG_6110.jpeg

We might become sun worshippers.
D71, because we both have a grid to fall back on not sure either of us are going to
be wearing long hooded robes and chanting pagan rituals anytime soon.

Capture440.PNG

But I do feel your pain with the weather system we have moving through now.
the same night I hung 2 more panels they were talking tornados warnings, that's the
last thing a person needs to hear after hanging panels.

Last edited:
D71, because we both have a grid to fall back on not sure either of us are going to
be wearing long hooded robes and chanting pagan rituals anytime soon.

View attachment 210045

But I do feel your pain with the weather system we have moving through now.
the same night I hung 2 more panels they were talking tornados warnings, that's the
last think a person needs to hear after hanging panels.

IMG_6112.jpeg

Notice the SOC meter is not really correct. 🤣

Yeah but so many ppl say this Solar is sustainable and reliable. Don’t you know? 🤡 Then they want to spend hundreds of trillions tax payer dollars for New Green Deal. They haven't tried what they are preaching. They are ignorant asf.
This is a hobby to me and hopefully source of emergency power. I could over panel - put back up the 1560watt array for bad weather but honestly it wasn’t lot better. Funny part this is just system Idle condition no loads except the Raspberry PI 400. The solar can’t keep up with just system idle consumption. 🤡🥸

Good note:
Imagine buying the cheaper panels available now then have these come out. These panels are suppose to be cheaper to make but will be marked up because that is business. The Manufacturers will hold the PV tech on these until reduce present stock on older tech. They do not want to take a loss and get stuck with outdated tech for panels and batteries.

They tickle us with technology based on their profit lines. Why ppl like Tesla didn’t do well with them.

This guy is living it.

Notice the SOC meter is not really correct.
D71, it may be time to put your Pi to work calculating an accurate SOC.

was driving home from work and had to stop and look at this sitting along side the road.
I love it :love: but it's working so is not something I'd get.

IMG_4441.JPG

D71, it may be time to put your Pi to work calculating an accurate SOC.

was driving home from work and had to stop and look at this sitting along side the road.
I love it :love: but it's working so is not something I'd get.

View attachment 210106
That EV(?) would be perfect. Got blinkers and lights which is a requirement here. Do you have to have lights and blinkers. I don’t live in the small towns where golf carts are allowed. But that would be fun. How much is it? Before they allowed golf- buggy on road could buy used ones for $500 Now at tractor supply they are crazy expensive.

You get Agm batteries, 800 pound load, and 45 max miles. For ~$8500 if bought in your State plus tax. Think we have 1 time license fee here. Do you have license fee there? The buggy you looked at is leaps bounds better imho. Driving buggy in rain storm sucks.IMG_6114.jpeg

The SOC is coming direct from BMS….. if it is not accurate then nothing else matters. 🤣 the person that programmed the meter just dropped the ball the SOC percentage is correct however the scale is off.

Ppl talking about going off grid but still sneak power are almost as bad when we had ppl bragging about CORD CUTTERS for cable. They weren’t cord cutters they still had cable internet. Plus most were then paying more for streaming services. Hulu, Netflix and such. 🤣 Crack me up to see them talk about sticking it to the cable companies while they spent more money….streaming…and using cable company cord internet. 🤣🤡 Some of these ppl were pure idiots…..they would smirk as they talked. I’d tell them they were smart. 🤡🤣

After 2020…..
IMG_1396.jpeg

Do you have to have lights and blinkers.
D71, not yet but going to have, I just measured the golf cart frame and it's the same same as
my panels, ones of these solar panels are going to be my sun roof :LOL:, I'm also going to have
a rear facing camera as a rear view mirror :LOL: I put one on my bike and loved it.
How much is it?
they were asking $5000
72Vdc 100Ah AGM batteries
top speed 25mph
it is cute! but got to think it would get very hot in there. :unsure:
IMG_4442.JPG

Last edited:
Capture439.PNG

D71, if I said I knew what I was talking about, I'd be lying, but I do know the only place
satisfaction or happiness can be found is in your head. think pessimist-you'll feel sorrow.
I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

it seemed I only learned 2 things in all these years, only place satisfaction or happiness can
be found is in your head and the only one that can slow you down or get in your way is you,
your self.

Last edited:
Do you have license fee there?
D71, I think for golf cart's it's $25 every 3 years. I'm still 2 months away from talking
to the city. I can set the top speed in the ESC to what ever they need. I could have an
Arduino control the ESC then have a off road switch to pop wheelies :ROFLMAO:

Back