diy solar

diy solar

America's melting pot

42ohmsPA, big I would think, each 4x8 sheet of treated plywood cost $40.00 each, $120.00 :oops:
to make 3 sided that can only hold 4 panels.

my thinking here is half the panel collect morning sun, other half late day sun. šŸ¤Ŗ

the only reason I made it that way is so I can remove the ballast and move them as needed.
I'm trying the point the panels between trees, I still don't have a good read on the sun's track yet.(first solar season syndrome)

View attachment 209423

I would also suggest a cover on your IBC container, green water is not fun even if you just use it to water the garden.

Just remember you get most everything in ecoworthy kit for ~$130. Look on youtube ppl have great ideas on how to use them in various ways.

For my 4 each Canadian 390watt bifacial panels need ~165ā€ just for them and additional space get clamps installed.
Combined weight of those 4 panels is ~252 pounds. They are awkward by myself.
Each
  • Weight: 62.6 Ibs.
  • Dimensions: 83.9 x 41.3 x 1.2 Inch

Why I did not buy those big panels. The 500-600 watt panels are big as sheet of plywood. Heavy - awkward too.

I have been considering putting 4 Ecoworthy 195 watt out to compare with the Canadian Solar 325x2 = 650watt array have out now.

The EcoWorthy 195watt bifacial panels are feather weights. Expensiveā€¦at ~$150 each. The 390watt were ~$196 each at the time plus shipping. Prices and availability have dropped considerably. I can drive go get them now. 4 of the 580-600 watt panels would be nice.
Size: 52.6 x 26.4 x 1.4 inches (1335*670*35mm), weight 20.48 Lbs.

Unistrut post

EG4 MOUNTS.

Another

Just wood

I get strong winds here. šŸ˜”

Eye candy wood
https://youtube.com/shorts/xcAwujfTN64?si=brElTOubFF2NEuoz

anyone have a link to an amazon CLAMP ON DC amp meter that they know works?

I'm looking at this one because I have used Klein Volt meters for a few years without failing.
Capture428.PNG

Tommy is that a big gen in the back ground?

I ordered some more Bouge rv 10ga pv wireā€¦ that stuff is expensiveā€¦ā€¦. About $126 for 100ft red 100ft of black.

This sure is fun. šŸ¤”šŸ¤£
IMG_6072.jpeg

Iā€™ve used this on a few things

Fluke has one on Amazon for

IMG_6073.jpeg

About all this shit is Chinese now. The old Amp Probe were the best I ever used but disappeared over years. My shit gets legs or forget ruin them with leaking battery

D71, no 24000Vac transformer.

Thanks for the link!
Ok ā€¦.It looked od green thought it was one of those old military diesel generators. Iā€™d love to have one of those.

Old 10kw diesel with single or three phase.

the frame looks even better without the fiberglass body on.

IMG_4423.JPG

I still get a smile each time I look at this speed controller :LOL:

IMG_4422.JPG

the brakes are internal of the drive pully, carp! and they are bad :(

IMG_4428.JPG

looking at this option

Capture429.PNG

the tires look brand new. :love: still have the mold lines in them.
but the fiberglass is going to need some work. :) something new to play with, never messed
with fiberglass repair before.

IMG_4431.JPG
IMG_4430.JPG

Last edited:
It would be something but bet it still runs. Your lead acid batteries could test it. Be a lot of jumpers. - 3 batteries šŸ¤£šŸ˜€

Old corvettes are pita the fiberglas gets all checked and cracked lot of work Sometimes when restored a new crack pops up. That shit is flammable if using gas torch or welding near it. Funny thing the welding blankets are often fibreglas though. Wear covid mask put it to use when doing your repairs. 3m makes much better mask ā€¦.

IMG_6080.jpeg

Iā€™d bet in many years to come we might discover fiberglas is worse than asbestos. That is mask ā€¦. I wore doing fiberglas bondo work on cars bikes and such. Not wearing one is why old autobody guys are not around. That plus isocynayes in old dupont centari enamel with hardeners and imron paints. Use to see ad in papers old hotrod for sale by spouse - husband past then mention it was painted with imron. For those paint need a much better filter or supplied air. They - isocyanate paints polymerize your lungs and are moisture cure. Think it methyl Isocyanates is What leaked and killed all those ppl in India think it was DOW Chemical around 20,000 or 30,000 ppl died. Most of dead ppl were found in their beds as it happened at night from the news paper at the time. However Isocyanates make Good product for automotive paints just need a lot of respect. Hell old enamel paints were filled with lead why they lasted so long. Paint chips taste good. šŸ¤£ Paint companies still get sued over that - ppl claiming expose to lead paint - retardation. .
This isocyanates is in everything.

It takes lot of time and good deal money do good bodywork and paint.
You might want to do bodywork then take it to autobody shop to spray it. Or rattle can. šŸ¤£

Iā€™d throw some batteries in it and see if it still ran. I like the old stuff because it is ultra simple and worked

Runs very nice, very quite, very smooth, and no bearing noises :love:

the forwards/back switch still works also, wow!

even thou it only has 3 speeds, if it had brakes I'd take it around the block šŸ¤Ŗ

IMG_4432.JPG

this old starter relay still works, wow!

IMG_4425.JPG

Last edited:
D71, back when I was playing with cars (70's, 80's) there was a place call Earl Scheib I may check to see if they are still around
They - Earl Scheib had $79 paint job. šŸ¤£ Those days are gone. Maaco might do it if they are around. I painted my own stuff. Good charcoal 3m filter mask. Tractor supply enamel with isocynant hardener works good too. Those cheap harbor freight paint guns work too.

We painted our buggies at old work place with rattle cans it never stuck ā€¦. We chemically cleaned then sanded them before hand. Still failed Lasted few years. Lot old fiberglas buggy bodies are Gel Coat like on boats.

I figured that old setup still worked. They built stuff to last back then.

Maaco might do it if they are around.
D71, there are a number of Maacos around me. when I get ready for that I'll give them a call.

I'm going to try using 2 part epoxy to fix the fiberglass.
I should be able to put a few pop rivets to hold it in place.

IMG_4433.JPGIMG_4434.JPG

Capture430.PNG

Last edited:
It takes lot of time and good deal money do good bodywork and paint.
D71, if I can get it painted(the fiberglass only) for $300 I'd do it, if not rattle cans or "cheap harbor freight paint guns work too"

I'm thinking navy blue would work with the beige frame

this is the best match I can find, still don't know who made it.

Capture431.PNG

**edit
found it! 1962 Sears Roebuck T-Mate golf cart

now I'm thinking sky blue :LOL:

Capture432.PNG

Last edited:
Reactions: D71
A 12oz spray can of paint is usually 8-9 oz of actual paint but you donā€™t usually get it all out . A mini paint gun is usually 4-5 oz paint and can add bigger cups. They are best paint guns for small things and some small guns you can put bigger cups on them. If you have local HF check them out.
These small guns work best with small air compressors. Large paint guns take to many cfm to atomize properly - need big air compressor. You might skimp by because the golf cart is small..

HF mini gun the previous version worked greatā€¦.and was cheaper. It is gone This one looks to be built better. Resembles an expensive SATA gun.

Paint mid day not as many bugsā€¦they love fresh paint die on it. Donā€™t paint when bugs are out like dusk - night. Solid colors are best - easiest.

IMG_6083.jpeg

IMG_6086.jpeg

IMG_6082.jpeg

IMG_6087.jpeg
IMG_6081.jpeg
Tractor supply Paint colors are limited. You could go to automotive paint supply and get a ss urethane and hardener doubt take a quart. Call talk to them in your area. Donā€™t get none of that water based shit.

This Paint once hardener has been added has to be sprayed or left to be dried out-than discarded afterwords. You will Need thinner too. Follow directions.
Take picture of label on can because after first pour paint will get on it. šŸ¤£
That hardener decreases dry time and according to label ā€œNo Isocyanates.ā€ They took the tech sheets down so maybe the instructions are on the can. Again get their recommended thinner if you decide go that route. Brake cleaner from ā€œOā€™Reillyā€ auto parts works well for cleaning your paint gun. Remember paint is reflection of surface prep bad prep shows and paint wonā€™t hide it. I diy to have tools for next project. Save money too. Most paint rattle cans if you go that route work best if you line nozzle up with spray mark. I prefer mini gun.

I think Evercoat makes best fibreglass and bondos. Follow directions. Bondo has very short working time before it kicks. Follow directions.

Got refund for my Mpp Solar wireless dongle ā€¦..saved that $100. Ordered it several days ago and they send email wanting all my inverter info. I asked them to just cancel. Got Solar Assistant on it. Going to add my Victron shunt and tie it in to Solar Assistant. I think battery reporting will be more accurate afterwords.

Was just looking online the paints have doubled or tripled in prices. Wow. Ppg Omni is good value automotive paint.
Are you still going with the Vevor blue and white seats?

I think Evercoat makes best fibreglass and bondos. Follow directions. Bondo has very short working time before it kicks. Follow directions.
D71, sweet information!

Are you still going with the Vevor blue and white seats?
D71, maybe at the start, I'm not a good color matcher, I'll talk to my granddaughter they
know that stuff.

I think battery reporting will be more accurate afterwords.
I get that, I'm also a big fan of lots of good data.

because I'm running my panel in parallel, I feel warm&fuzzy using this cheap 10ga wire.

Capture434.PNG

Last edited:
Maaco says $500 or $600 to paint the fiberglass body. :unsure:

I think of stopping at harbor freight, tractor supply this week.
first thing I'll need is an orbital sander, and some bondo.

Paint mid day not as many bugsā€¦they love fresh paint die on it. Donā€™t paint when bugs are out like dusk - night.
with my GF gone I can put up some plastic, open some windows and turn the back
bedroom into temporary painting booth šŸ¤Ŗ

hours of entertainment :)

Capture435.PNG

because I tend to convolute things, in order to get some more gear reduction
I'm going to mount the motor backwards from the stock motor.
the disk brake rotors are going on the added shaft also.Capture436.PNG

IMG_4435.JPG

Last edited:
Back