diy solar

diy solar

Anderson Connector amperage

Kzneft

How do I tell what amperage my Anderson connector is ? I have a 8mm female to Anderson cable adapter already that comes from my GZ panel. 8mm female to anderson.jpg I see in Amazon they make 15,20,30,45 amp connectors for just the Red connector. Is there a way to tell what you have? I want to connect this Anderson connector to my controller and want to get the correct amperage connectors.

Yes, there are many sizes of Anderson connectors, therefore, many amperages.

If you have a pre assembled anderson pp connector 15 - 45 amp connector and want to know which particular amp rating you're working with you can look to the gauge of wire to determine the amp rating. The 45 amp is 10 gauge, 30 amp is 12 - 14 gauge and 15 amp is 16 - 20 gauge. I love these connectors and I bought them pre assembled when starting out but now crimp my own. So much flexibility and durability when connecting and disconnecting often. Here is a link that will teach you all things anderson powerpole

Last edited:
I love them! I bought used AGMs via craigslist, and they came with 8 SB 175 connectors. This was my introduction to them.

I later discovered the connectors were worth more than the $40 I paid for the batteries!

If I ever order terminals, I'll be careful to label the bag so I know amps. You would need a collection of various sizes to compare to easily determine the rating on a mystery terminal.

Here is a summary of their connectors I put together while researching them:

Anderson (SB, Powerpole/PP)
  • SB 50 - UL Rated for Hot Plugging up to 50 Amps. Allows UL rated currents up to 120 amps.
  • SB 120 - New extended range contacts expand wire size up to #1 AWG (42.4 mm²). Allows UL rated currents up to 240 amps
  • SB 175 - Standard Housing uses up to 1/0 (50mm2) wire and allows currents up to 280 amps, SB 2/0 housing allow s use of 2/0 (70mm2) wire and handles up to 340 amps, UL rated for Hot Plugging up to 100 amps
  • PP75 - up to 120 Amps, 6-16 AWG
  • PP120 - up to 240 Amps, 1/0 (50 mm²) to 8 AWG
Unfortunately, none of this helps you identify a terminal.

Back