diy solar

diy solar

Any inverters that would work with a 24s or 16s li-ion battery?

NoahPZ

Hi. I am looking at these packs from battery hookup, and they look like a great deal. My only problem is there isn't an easy way to set them up with most standard 48v inverters. Is there such a thing as a 100v inverter? I would appreciate any ideas. I would be using them in an RV with solar.

I would discourage you from pursuing these. Sure, they're attractive from a $/kWh perspective, but they're the catch-fire kind of Lithium, and as you're discovering, you're getting pushed in to niche equipment territory.

DIY NEW LFP costs about 2X as much, is much safer and will likely last longer while not backing you into a corner where you have to choose between bad options:

To get comparable life from NMC, you need to limit cycling from about 20% to 75% which means you're only using about half the battery... which doubles the kWh cost.

You've already found dead ends with those packs.

Trust me... I know a little about NMC... :p

If I had to do it over again, I would have gone with LFP.

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I am starting to look at other options now. I decided the best I could probably do with these is use them in a 15s config, leaving one of the cells unused. I've had quite a bit of experience with NMC packs, but LFP is definitely easier overall (and safer). I have a feeling that it may be a little difficult to get the exact charge curve that I want to see when programming these inverter/charge controllers too, which as you said is pretty important with NMC. But I'm currently looking at a pretty good deal on some 18650 cell style packs, so I might head in the NMC direction still. Not sure yet.

If I am using NMC It would be nice to be able to set up a home and away function on the charge controller, but I am not sure if that's possible. Maybe you know if this is a common thing or not? When I am home, I'd cap the charge near a nominal charge of ~51v, but in away mode I'd like it to charge to around 90% ~57v.

Even 15S is a little problematic. Many inverters are capped at 60V, so that limits you if you ever want/need to go to 100%. 14S is far more practical.

Not aware of any home/away configuration on any devices commonly used on this forum. I can say with certainty that my Victron system does not; however, it's trivial to simply change absorption and float voltages as needed.

EDIT: And I want to brag that I can make changes remotely from my phone... :p

Last edited:
Back