diy solar

diy solar

Any limit to how many suitcase flexible panel kits can be connected to the battery terminals?

dtjoint

I have a unique situation with a Prevost Country Coach bus motor home. The house battery bank is six 8D AGMs for 1500 amp hours of capacity plus a chassis battery bank of four group 31 starting batteries wired series/parallel to supply 24vdc for starting and 12vdc for the engine electronics, exterior lighting, fans, pumps, etc. Where we park the bus when not in use we have a clear view to the west but shade in the other directions. We are about to loose our shore power there so I am looking to solar as a way to keep the house and chassis battery banks charged while parked.

I won't have space to set up and secure glass panels. Because of their small size and easy storage I am looking at the 120 watt portable solar units featuring flexible panels. To provide enough output I would like to be able to use two to four of these up on the house side, and two on the chassis side (one wired to each pair of parallel linked 12vdc batteries).

Is there anything limiting how many of these portable units I can stack up on the battery posts? Will doing so simply add to the watt hour capacity as I want them to do since they all are independent other than having the output from each controller connected at the batteries? Will I need to add one larger, MPPT controller to each set or will the output of the parallel panels simply go to the charge controller built into each kit? Do I need blocking diodes between the panels and the charge controllers?

Thanks for helping a newby.

Jerry

Last edited:
I think the only issue here would be to not throw more amps at the batteries than they can handle in C rate. But with your 1500 amps hours I think it would be difficult to throw them 750 amps at once. So you should be fine. I have 3 SCC's connected to my 300AH bank and have never had a problem.

Back