diy solar

diy solar

Anyone ever take apart a BMW Battery Pack?

Dacflyer

I'm working on another battery project. I had acquired for cheap 8x 12s BMW batteries, I think they came from an I3?
Anyway I need 14s packs to match my other BMW Batteries ( 14s system ) I've decided to disassemble 1 pack to gain 6x 2s packs, then add them to the 12s packs I have, then i'd have 1, 12s pack as a spare. The 6 2s packs were Insulated (Casings) so that they pose no hazards.
As many of you know. these BMW batteries are built like tanks. heavy Aluminum welded cases. It took me nearly a week with much much patience.
But i did get them apart and I learned things as well. Like the cases of the cells are conductive. But BMW didn't wrap the whole cell either, Just the broad sides.
I used many plastic wedges.. I did get a scare once, while i had the wedges slowly separating the cells, I started hearing a strange noise.. I got nervous, Thinking i had maybe ruptured a cell, Luckily it was just the noise of the sticky wrap separating.. Phuuuu..
So now that everything was apart like I wanted, I needed to figure a way to attach the additional cells to the 12s packs, Not to worry. Just needed a thin spacer to lay the cells onto the 12s pack,, and I ordered some 1/2" thick 5"x 17" Aluminum plate..This will be drilled and used to keep compression on the cells (containment).. I just need to drill a few hole for the threaded rod, and a Bar to attach the other ends of the rod to on the other side of the pack. I then should be good to go.. Connections and BMS attachments should be easy enough.
If anyone is interested, I can show a few pictures later on..
Feel free to ask any questions...

im working on building 2 72v packs to wire in parallel for a golf cart using these as well as Fiat 500e packs which use the same cells in different quantities. I info on these cells varies quite a bit from what I can find. I also picked them all up cheap at the hookup..

Back