diy solar

diy solar

Anyone used Solar Stack for mounting panels?

frasere2

So I have a flat roof, and I've looked at this product called Solar Stack which uses construction foam to attach solar panels to the roof. They passed engineering in California (and Florida). No holes in the roof, a lot quicker and a little cheaper. Am I missing something?

I just looked at their promo video. Basically they're glueing panels to your roof. My roof is ceramic tiles. Tiles move. If panels were glued to it and there's a strong wind, I suspect panels and roof tiles will be gone by morning. With traditional roof installation, they drill through the tiles and into trusses underneath. That is what really holds the panels down in strong winds. Solar Stack sounds good, sounds easy, sounds less work, and sounds less expensive. But I find it hard to believe it won't fly away.

I just looked at their promo video. Basically they're glueing panels to your roof. My roof is ceramic tiles. Tiles move. If panels were glued to it and there's a strong wind, I suspect panels and roof tiles will be gone by morning. With traditional roof installation, they drill through the tiles and into trusses underneath. That is what really holds the panels down in strong winds. Solar Stack sounds good, sounds easy, sounds less work, and sounds less expensive. But I find it hard to believe it won't fly away.
Okay, there are specific use cases for solar stack. If you have tiles, you'd have to cut into them to secure the pedestals to the roof, so your concern about tiles moving would really apply. But there are an awful lot of flat roofs that this should work better for then roof penetrations. At least I hope so. They glue roof shingles and they work fine in hurricane winds, sooooo...why not these for solar? They are ridiculously expensive for an extruded aluminum profile, but still cheaper than traditional racking.

Back