diy solar

diy solar

Are AIO inverters prone to overheating?

The equipment is located in the garage and the only option is to air condition the uninsulated garage.
or put it in the freezer like our Australian member did here...

or put it in the freezer like our Australian member did here...
This is a permitted by the town and inspected by the power company build. A freezer definitely would not be allowed.

Adding a 20k BTU AC is not really a rational option moneywise.

This is a permitted by the town and inspected by the power company build. A freezer definitely would not be allowed.

Adding a 20k BTU AC is not really a rational option moneywise.

Is there equipment available that is rated for higher temperatures?

Morningstar tristar mppt comes to mind

A large Inverter might be the real issue

Why?
What equipment have you purchased?
From what I’m reading of local code, the batteries are not to be installed in a living area, but a utility closet, garage, or outdoors is acceptable.

Is an inspected, permitted build different in your area? You do this stuff for a living.

The equipment and permitting and design itself is done through a contractor. Outback Radian, 10 kW of panels and 10 kWh of E-Flex lithium batteries.
I would point an A/C unit at it. To help with life expectancy.
At this point, I consider an Air Conditioner not a rational choice when doing a build when considering a payback period. I do think that next year though, I will have installed a 240 volt EG4 20 kBTU air conditioner?.

Some people I know who had defective equipment replaced, this equipment was located on the South side of the house in direct sunlight. A solar panel can reach 135 degrees in the sun, and I’ve measured other black objects as bough as 170.
Is there equipment available that is rated for higher temperatures?
Short answer, not that I could find. A lot of equipment is rated for Ambient temps marginally in excess of what this area gets for temperatures.

There’s plenty of equipment installed in this Phoenix Valley that has proved its worth. It is the best place in the country for solar when you look at the many sunny days we have. Our cloudy days would be considered sunny in other places Ive lived.

Is an inspected, permitted build different in your area? You do this stuff for a living.
The only issue could be the batteries. Depending on what chemistry they are. And your local building and fire code.
Everything else is fine in the living space per NEC.
For your situation, I would consider building an insulated "closet" around the system. And condition that space.
My system is growing. And I won't be giving it the required spacing. So I have selected a small DC micro A/C. Ducted to the intake of each unit.

Back