diy solar

diy solar

Battery charging for multiple batteries - what is "communications" actually doing?

plympton

I make things and fix stuff
Apologies, I searched high and low and only found threads on HOW to get it working, but none discussing WHY. ChatGPT and I juar had a long talk just now and I'm still not sure.

Say you have an device (AIO/Inverter/Whatever) connected to N batteries. I assume it reads the BMS SOC and if sees the batteries need a charge, it puts power on the leads and the batteries taketh. I figure without communications, the device would device to charge based on a voltage curve of some sort (right?) - so I assume comms FTW here.

What I'm wondering is, how does communications help with deciding when to stop charging? I assume the BMS for each battery will stop pulling power when it believes it is full. Is it as simple as the device reads each BMS and sees that battery 4 isn't full yet, so keeps the charger going until it is full? And without that, it would have to rely on the above voltage curve (which for LFP is crazy flat so really hard to do right)?

The charging is always based on voltage.
But if the BMS is communicating with the charger. It can slow down the charging if the BMS tells it to.
At the most basic, this happens at 90%. The charging is reduced from 90% to 100%.

The charging is always based on voltage.
But if the BMS is communicating with the charger. It can slow down the charging if the BMS tells it to.
At the most basic, this happens at 90%. The charging is reduced from 90% to 100%.
Doesn't seem to happen with JKBMS Inverter BMS and my Growatt Inverter though.
It just full blast the current all the way to 100%

Doesn't seem to happen with JKBMS Inverter BMS and my Growatt Inverter though.
It just full blast the current all the way to 100%
I guess that is possible with high quality well balanced cells.
If the BMS is happy, it won't tell the SCC to slow down.
Or it's not functioning properly.

Back