diy solar

diy solar

Best alternative to MC4 connector that is slender and can be disconnected/reconnected?

prskier17

I have just completed the installation of solar panels on my boat. One on each side... There is a hole through each side of the boat from the factory the just barely fits an MC4 connector. It's approximately 20mm diameter. The problem is once I get one connector through the second one won't fit with the wire from the first alongside it. The boat is used seasonally (Minnesota) and I need to remove the panels when taking the boat out of the water each fall, so I need to be able to disconnect and reconnect in the fall/spring. The connection is in a covered, but open from the side, compartment under a seat in the sailboat cockpit. The best option I've found so far is 45amp Anderson Powerpoles. Is there anything else I should be looking at? I'd prefer waterproof if an option exists that will fit through a 20mm opening. Each side is a single 100w panel with 10ga wiring (Ancor tinned copper). Thanks, Chris

The plastic over covers on the MC-4 connectors come apart by unscrewing them, poke the two sets of wires through the access hole, then from the other side re-install the plastic MC-4 connector parts (keep track of the order these go in when you first take them apart), they work well, are more or less watertight and come apart easily when needed.

The plastic over covers on the MC-4 connectors come apart by unscrewing them, poke the two sets of wires through the access hole, then from the other side re-install the plastic MC-4 connector parts (keep track of the order these go in when you first take them apart), they work well, are more or less watertight and come apart easily when needed.
Are you saying I can remove the crimped pin from the plastic housing? Any trick for this? Do I need a certain tool? This? MENKEY Terminal Removal Tool Kit for Car, 39 Pieces Wire Connector Pin Release Key Extractor Tools Set for Most Connector Terminal https://a.co/d/2khBxdI

Although the MC4 housing can be disassembled, the pin inside is locked into the larger section of the MC4 connector. I suppose if you pull hard enough, it will come out and most likely damaged. It is made in such a way that the pin has a flared part on the pin so that it will not come out easily.

Attachments

• mc4pin.jpg
    mc4pin.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 6
The crimped part stays in place on the wire, after unthreding the strain relief the plastic parts come off, with a pull, no damage. Reassemble on the other side.
You could change to SAE type connectors if you prefer, I think those would fit through the opening more easily since they are flat instead of round shape.

Thanks, after doing more digging it sounds like these connector pins can be removed from the housing but they aren't intended to be and a traditional extractor doesn't work. Because my application requires disassembly seasonally I'll switch to a different connector types. Anything better than Powerpoles (waterproof) out there?

I don't believe the Anderson Connectors or XT60 are water-tight, the SAE connectors would be better, maybe other small connection options but I am not familiar with any that I can recommend. I wonder if a through hull two piece fitting would be an option, permanent conncetion to the hull for the inside portion of the wiring, and a water proof plugin for the exterior side that replaces the MC-4 fitting.

I don't believe the Anderson Connectors or XT60 are water-tight, the SAE connectors would be better, maybe other small connection options but I am not familiar with any that I can recommend. I wonder if a through hull two piece fitting would be an option, permanent conncetion to the hull for the inside portion of the wiring, and a water proof plugin for the exterior side that replaces the MC-4 fitting.
I'll keep looking, thanks for the comments.

Back