diy solar

diy solar

Best Grid Tie Inverter For Our Needs?

TSM

Dear Forum, Thank you in advance for your expertise.

My brother-in-law and I have both had installed 14kwt grid-tied systems installed on our houses. The panels use micro-inverters. We are going to purchase battery backup systems for storage so that at nighttime we can run battery power so we can virtually 100% eliminate the need for Xcel energy for powering (bills$) our house(s). We are looking for a grid tie inverter system that can sense the need to switch to the batteries when needed but can also, during a power outage, cut off any back feeding power onto the grid for safety concerns upline and to fulfill Xcel energy demands that it not do so. Any thoughts on which grid tie inverter would be best for our situation?

Dear Forum, Thank you in advance for your expertise.

My brother-in-law and I have both had installed 14kwt grid-tied systems installed on our houses. The panels use micro-inverters. We are going to purchase battery backup systems for storage so that at nighttime we can run battery power so we can virtually 100% eliminate the need for Xcel energy for powering (bills$) our house(s). We are looking for a grid tie inverter system that can sense the need to switch to the batteries when needed but can also, during a power outage, cut off any back feeding power onto the grid for safety concerns upline and to fulfill Xcel energy demands that it not do so. Any thoughts on which grid tie inverter would be best for our situation?

Get your checkbook out. Here are your two options:

1) whatever storage solution is available for your specific GT system.
2) a separate and high quality high power off-grid inverter capable of AC coupling and battery system.

Both options are likely to potentially double the cost of your installation.

In short, GT systems require a grid to operate. You must supply that grid with a suitably powerful off-grid inverter capable of AC coupling to the GT system.

Get your checkbook out. Here are your two options:

1) whatever storage solution is available for your specific GT system.
2) a separate and high quality high power off-grid inverter capable of AC coupling and battery system.

Both options are likely to potentially double the cost of your installation.

In short, GT systems require a grid to operate. You must supply that grid with a suitably powerful off-grid inverter capable of AC coupling to the GT system.

Thank you for your input. I will look into your suggestions. I really appreciate your feedback!

TSM

Have alook at the common Brands, Growatt are the cheapest in Aus, they do the job at a budget price and a budget quality, there are plenty of middle of the row hybrid inverters like SMA, etc. BUT before outlaying the cash, check the CEC web site, there is link to compliant inverters to grid connect, and make sure the exact model you are looking to buy is on the approved list, and does not expire in 2023. There are plenty to choose from for all budgets. But as stated above the chepest option may be to buy a battery suited to your current system assuming its battery ready? Or ask the vendor about an AC coupled battery option if your PV inverter is not DC battery ready

Have alook at the common Brands, Growatt are the cheapest in Aus, they do the job at a budget price and a budget quality, there are plenty of middle of the row hybrid inverters like SMA, etc. BUT before outlaying the cash, check the CEC web site, there is link to compliant inverters to grid connect, and make sure the exact model you are looking to buy is on the approved list, and does not expire in 2023. There are plenty to choose from for all budgets. But as stated above the chepest option may be to buy a battery suited to your current system assuming its battery ready? Or ask the vendor about an AC coupled battery option if your PV inverter is not DC battery ready
Sounds good Ghosty. I will look into what you have laid out here. Thank you very much for taking the time to offer your suggestions. Much appreciated!

TSM

Enphase? Do you own or lease the system? Consider a sol-ark 15k or eg4 18kpv. Wire the solar into the gen port of the sol-ark (or equivalent with eg4). Battery cost savings can pay for the inverter. Might even ditch the micros, and direct connect to sol-ark.

Back