diy solar

diy solar

Bifacial solar panels - Can I install them on a regular roof?

I thought my 700W bifacials were indestructible until I broke 4mm drill bit and a small 1-2mm piece of it hit my panel almost one meter away and broke the glass. Didn't see that coming. I mean you can walk on them.
If you are walking on your panels your solar driving licence should be permanently revoked!

I have a feeling that works way better than expected
Kind of yes, but then it's too early to say how well it does when summer arrives. That's a 44,1kWp set and yield with around -10C (14F) and snow on the ground was 330-340kWh on a sunny day, even in a blizzard I got 8kW power at noon time while visibility was barely 150m (500ft). So it is actually working even better than I predicted at wintertime. Now there's no snow anymore and the field is dark black/brown/muddy and it's +10C (50F) so yield has dropped to only 240-250kWh/day. It is suffering from the wrong angle and it will get even worse after month or so, but at the same time daylight will be 4-6 hours longer and the field will get green (better albedo), so hard to predict what is going to happen.

Use bifacials. The back is glass vs plastic. Which in hot climates is susceptible to expansion/shrinkage and over time is likely to have a small leak that will let moisture in and then cause issues. Even if there was no gain, IMO, use bifacials. As to the little extra weight vs a traditional panel, instead of using rails for mounts, use the S-5 brackets. I saved about 850lbs on my personal house (metal ship). Also saved a few dollars (brackets vs rails).

Back