diy solar

diy solar

Brightmount Rack

jbkrntrprz

Liked this Panel rack from Signature Solar. Combined 5 of them to make this one large rack. Did not like the fact that the design did not include support for the front so I came up with this. Very solid but will also secure it with cables at the place it mounts to the 6 by 6 posts in case the wood starts to get a little soft in the coming years. Will make sure I keep treating the wood every year.

Attachments

• 20231103_165636.jpg
    20231103_165636.jpg
    249.2 KB · Views: 136
  • 20231204_111527.jpg
    20231204_111527.jpg
    223.4 KB · Views: 131
  • 20231204_111453.jpg
    20231204_111453.jpg
    252.6 KB · Views: 126
  • 20231111_145828.jpg
    20231111_145828.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 123
  • 20231204_111618.jpg
    20231204_111618.jpg
    269.1 KB · Views: 126
  • 20231204_111540.jpg
    20231204_111540.jpg
    301.6 KB · Views: 134
Good work on setting that rack up. I'm still working through the plans for 2 or 4 to be installed on a south facing slope. Will likely use a center steel pipe (2-3 in sched 40) with welded on 1/4 in steel top plate, set in concrete.

Can I ask what panels you used?

Many of the larger panels (my 550w Renogy for ex) are too wide to fit 4x on a single frame.

Good work on setting that rack up. I'm still working through the plans for 2 or 4 to be installed on a south facing slope. Will likely use a center steel pipe (2-3 in sched 40) with welded on 1/4 in steel top plate, set in concrete.

Can I ask what panels you used?

Many of the larger panels (my 550w Renogy for ex) are too wide to fit 4x on a single frame.
18 Bluesun 460W Bifacial and 4 Canadian Solar 280W. 4 Bluesun will not fit on 1 rack but the Canadian panels will. Had to add on about a foot to get all panels on. Your idea sounds good but I would still find a way of securing the front. Just did not like the idea of all that weight on those back mounts with no support to the front. These panels are heavy and will grab the wind also. Not an engineer but it just looks wrong. Might be solid enough in concrete but not mounted to wood like mine. Time will tell. Thanks

Sweet, looks sharp. What are you running them to? Good idea putting the gravel underneath, that ought to help with getting some light to the back of those bifacials. I need to do that with mine, I have eight 445W Canadian Solar bifacials on a DIY wood ground mount.

Sweet, looks sharp. What are you running them to? Good idea putting the gravel underneath, that ought to help with getting some light to the back of those bifacials. I need to do that with mine, I have eight 445W Canadian Solar bifacials on a DIY wood ground mount.
6 EG4 Lifepower4 Batts and 2 EG4 6500 inverters. Just got it up and running with many problems. Lights flickering, inverters switching to bypass when microwave turned on and the latest, 2 of my batteries will not charge. Will update firmware on them later today. Lots to learn.

6 EG4 Lifepower4 Batts and 2 EG4 6500 inverters. Just got it up and running with many problems. Lights flickering, inverters switching to bypass when microwave turned on and the latest, 2 of my batteries will not charge. Will update firmware on them later today. Lots to learn.
Sorry to hear that. I have a single 6500 and one Lifepower4 battery. So far, after 10 months no real issues, just added the battery in November. I never updated the firmware on the inverter, figured if I'm not having problems then why tempt fate..

If you have any questions, fire away. Lots of us on here have similar setups. I get light flicker when we run the washer. Other times they're pretty stable, there are some lights that seem to be more susceptible to flicker than others.

The instructions show grounding clamps, and whatnot. I have one,of these mounts, but it’s inaccessible at the cabin so forgive me but:

Is everything needed to ground the panels, and Brightmount included? Or do I need more stuff? Signiture sells different clamps, etc (I’m ordering the extention pieces) and I’m putting in an order so that’s why I’m asking

The instructions show grounding clamps, and whatnot. I have one,of these mounts, but it’s inaccessible at the cabin so forgive me but:

Is everything needed to ground the panels, and Brightmount included? Or do I need more stuff? Signiture sells different clamps, etc (I’m ordering the extention pieces) and I’m putting in an order so that’s why I’m asking
Sorry for the late response. I bought 5 racks and got a lot of grounding stuff. Have not grounded yet but from what I can tell, there is enough grounding hardware. What extension pieces are you able to buy for this rack. I tried to get extra hardware and they would not sell to me except to replace a damaged rail.

Sorry for the late response. I bought 5 racks and got a lot of grounding stuff. Have not grounded yet but from what I can tell, there is enough grounding hardware. What extension pieces are you able to buy for this rack. I tried to get extra hardware and they would not sell to me except to replace a damaged rail.

Signature solar sells an extention “kit” for panels up to 45” wide:

Sorry to hear that. I have a single 6500 and one Lifepower4 battery. So far, after 10 months no real issues, just added the battery in November. I never updated the firmware on the inverter, figured if I'm not having problems then why tempt fate..

If you have any questions, fire away. Lots of us on here have similar setups. I get light flicker when we run the washer. Other times they're pretty stable, there are some lights that seem to be more susceptible to flicker than others.
Everything going pretty smooth now. Updating the firmware to Inverters, Batteries, and the Lifepower Communication hub makes all the difference. Started using my 240V well pump with no glitches. I trust it now to run my Fridge totally off grid!

Everything going pretty smooth now. Updating the firmware to Inverters, Batteries, and the Lifepower Communication hub makes all the difference. Started using my 240V well pump with no glitches. I trust it now to run my Fridge totally off grid!
Good to hear. Did the firmware upgrades fix your light flicker issue? All the batteries charging properly?

Good to hear. Did the firmware upgrades fix your light flicker issue? All the batteries charging properly?
My fridge light was flickering last night but has since quit. It is a non led bulb. Will ocassionally have the living room led light flicker. Nothing major. After firmware update the batteries are charging fairly even and to 100%. Been very surprised how well it has all come together and working as advertised. Now I have to concentrate on grounding everything and emp protection! Will be posting a question on that here shortly.

What is the distance you used between the 6x6 posts?
It varies a little bit per section. I placed post on each end and one in the middle. The middle was used to support the 2x8 supports Everything was done on the fly with the design in my head. Adjustments were made as it was put together. Got closeup pictures if you need them.

Liked this Panel rack from Signature Solar. Combined 5 of them to make this one large rack. Did not like the fact that the design did not include support for the front so I came up with this. Very solid but will also secure it with cables at the place it mounts to the 6 by 6 posts in case the wood starts to get a little soft in the coming years. Will make sure I keep treating the wood every year.
Very, very nice set up. Clean, I like it. I just got one of those racks last week and need to start putting it together. They (Sig Solar) are offering free shipping through the 27th. I'm thinking of grabbing a few more to copy what you did. Great job and thank you for sharing.

It varies a little bit per section. I placed post on each end and one in the middle. The middle was used to support the 2x8 supports Everything was done on the fly with the design in my head. Adjustments were made as it was put together. Got closeup pictures if you need them.
I'd love to see those closeups if you don't mind sharing.

Back