diy solar

diy solar

Brightmount Rack

Very, very nice set up. Clean, I like it. I just got one of those racks last week and need to start putting it together. They (Sig Solar) are offering free shipping through the 27th. I'm thinking of grabbing a few more to copy what you did. Great job and thank you for sharing.
You bet. I got more pictures if that would help you with the build.
My fridge light was flickering last night but has since quit. It is a non led bulb. Will ocassionally have the living room led light flicker. Nothing major. After firmware update the batteries are charging fairly even and to 100%. Been very surprised how well it has all come together and working as advertised. Now I have to concentrate on grounding everything and emp protection! Will be posting a question on

I'd love to see those closeups if you don't mind sharing.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• 20230921_124112.jpg
    20230921_124112.jpg
    243.7 KB · Views: 31
  • 20230921_124245.jpg
    20230921_124245.jpg
    247.5 KB · Views: 31
  • 20230921_124342.jpg
    20230921_124342.jpg
    332.1 KB · Views: 31
  • 20230921_124335.jpg
    20230921_124335.jpg
    334.9 KB · Views: 32
  • 20230921_124331.jpg
    20230921_124331.jpg
    370 KB · Views: 31
  • 20230921_124230.jpg
    20230921_124230.jpg
    244.7 KB · Views: 30
  • 20230921_124136.jpg
    20230921_124136.jpg
    286.4 KB · Views: 30
Very helpful, thank you!! What is the approximate spacing on center of the 6x6 posts between each rack?

Don't mind the rats-nest, it's better now...but one thing I read AFTER I bolted my rack into the TOP of the 6x6s, was that water intrusion + bolts + going WITH the grain of the wood can result in spreading/splintering of the wood and your bolts pulling out.

I half assed some strapping around the top to try to prevent it (I've since gotten it tighter), and I've also been painting on old oil from my oil changes into the area to seal things up better.

I'm not even sure it's truly something to worry about, but it does make some sense. So just an FYI for people that may run across this thread. Might be better of capping and then bolting into the cap.

Attachments

• PXL_20231120_070641841.jpg
    PXL_20231120_070641841.jpg
    376.2 KB · Views: 26
Don't mind the rats-nest, it's better now...but one thing I read AFTER I bolted my rack into the TOP of the 6x6s, was that water intrusion + bolts + going WITH the grain of the wood can result in spreading/splintering of the wood and your bolts pulling out.

I half assed some strapping around the top to try to prevent it (I've since gotten it tighter), and I've also been painting on old oil from my oil changes into the area to seal things up better.

I'm not even sure it's truly something to worry about, but it does make some sense. So just an FYI for people that may run across this thread. Might be better of capping and then bolting into the cap.
Good idea. I was thinking about using asphalt fence paint at least on those flat surfaces to prolong the life of the posts.

The straps seem like a good idea but not supporting the front would definitely cause the rack to want to pivot forward and more tendency to pull the bolts out. With the forward supports the frame is sitting on the 6x6 and the forward supports. Less stress on the bolts or Lag screws!

I think we'd all love to see more pictures!

Very helpful, thank you!! What is the approximate spacing on center of the 6x6 posts between each rack?
Just measured the first section and it is approximately 86 inches but varies a little per section. I'll take a picture tomorrow of how I joined each section and post it. Might make a little better sense

What kind of cap would you recommend?

Good to hear. Did the firmware upgrades fix your light flicker issue? All the batteries charging properly?
Seems that the flickering to the living room LED light only happens when my inverters are in bypass mode. When running off of battery there is no flickering.

Seems that the flickering to the living room LED light only happens when my inverters are in bypass mode. When running off of battery there is no flickering.
That's odd, I only get the flicker if I'm running on solar/battery (SBU), especially while the washer is running. If there's grid assist (SUB), everything is fine. I think that's been the case for most people with these inverters, but I guess anything is possible.

That's odd, I only get the flicker if I'm running on solar/battery (SBU), especially while the washer is running. If there's grid assist (SUB), everything is fine. I think that's been the case for most people with these inverters, but I guess anything is possible.
I have it set up for (SBU). Running into problems with my EG4 Com Hub also. It keeps locking up. Started a ticket with SS. Right now I am just connected directly via comms to the battery and it is charging now. I have EG4 Inverters, Batteries, and Com hub. Been going back and forth on the settings and nothing seems to work as advertised. It would be nice to know what settings work for each setup! Maybe I just haven't found the right thread yet. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Subdood.

I have it set up for (SBU). Running into problems with my EG4 Com Hub also. It keeps locking up. Started a ticket with SS. Right now I am just connected directly via comms to the battery and it is charging now. I have EG4 Inverters, Batteries, and Com hub. Been going back and forth on the settings and nothing seems to work as advertised. It would be nice to know what settings work for each setup! Maybe I just haven't found the right thread yet. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Subdood.
Sorry I don't have the Lifepower4 comm hub so I can't help you there. Hopefully tech support can help you out. But at least you said the flicker isn't as bad so that's something.

Just measured the first section and it is approximately 86 inches but varies a little per section. I'll take a picture tomorrow of how I joined each section and post it. Might make a little better sense
Notice I did not put support directly under where each section was connected.

Attachments

• 20240218_112008.jpg
    20240218_112008.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 25
  • 20240218_112022.jpg
    20240218_112022.jpg
    201.2 KB · Views: 25
FWIW, after assembling 7 of these, I can get through a build in 45 minutes, not rushing, with hand tools. This doesn't include mounting to whatever footing you want, concrete adds a lot more time, wood, not so much.

Only 3 more to go, I think....

FWIW, after assembling 7 of these, I can get through a build in 45 minutes, not rushing, with hand tools. This doesn't include mounting to whatever footing you want, concrete adds a lot more time, wood, not so much.

Only 3 more to go, I think....
Any pics of your new panels

Back