diy solar

diy solar

Building the sickest ® VAWT ever. Brilliant minds unite please!!

thank you brother.

the way I hold down the coil is all over the place..

This is my latestes atempt to get somewhere.

1714403545848.png

Now the fact that my whole home is shaking while running that tells me that some power is being transferred :)

I will try again tomorrow. give it some new thought perhaps before I start slaving away at endless measure taking.

also please do not be alarmed by the fact the frame of the house is vibrating. It is meant to do that else risk breaking when dealing with actual earth shakers of the lesser kind.

Last edited:
I have data now that make me sad!! this one 35-70-35 coil is just not a contender that has any chance.

Also. My data painstakingly taken does suggest that things are linear.
Yes of course brothers. You knew already. But I needed to see it in action else risk disbelieve.

Hahah now we are done you think?

----

---

hmm

I think not. Get ready!!

Well I meant get ready for the full scale test. meaning 57 vDC for a 16S Lifepo4 setup.

I think only when we go full scale then we can actually know what this PMA can do. Other than that I ran out of ideas for now.

The problem is then it becomes rather a set in stone kind of things because no one of us, including me, is willing to just try and and all variations at the costs and time it involves.

There is how ever a small light might be at the end of the tunnel.

I am a little weird at times. In where I do setup an extra test rig just to make sure I understood things correctly.

I have data to share in the meantime but now I have to cater to my offspring which of course gets right of way.

So the next day I wil share what I have thus far. and boy will it be underwhelming :(

ok this is what I have thus far. it is still not a chart like I should be doing but that is because I lost some data.
And overall I think I should not spend time on coiols that have no hope to ever become revered.

The biggest issue is that many data points fluctuate all the time due to my test bench is just crap. nee beyond that even.
So I will conciser going full steel to make any flex a thing of the past. Sure it will hurt the budget but I just do not like this current state of weird data I am getting,

Anyway here goes to the best of my current abilities.

1714642988287.png
I am sure I screwed up many times.

-----

Also I am now focusing on when I run similar trials with a 5 - 10 -5 coil @ 1.25mm diam then of course I need to ramp up the motor really high to get anywhere near the voltage needed to be able to pulse charge the Lifepo4 cell.

But I can already tell that when I do that then the ampDC is going well high like in the 0.5 range.

I am also going to reintroduce iron filled cores as soon as we have gone full steel.

It should be possible to DIY a structure that simply does not budge at the forces we are talking about here. (+- 500mT that is!!)

ehh no. it is that tesla value at one point. so now extrapolate the whole disk. my lord things will need to become sturdy!!
Even going full steel I am not sure I can pull it off.

look what happens when I introduce a different coil.

a 35-70-35 coil iron core enhanced @ 5*0.4mm diam.

When I spin it fast enough we get around 1.15 watt input into the battery cell.

1714660389392.png

Now is it worthwhile to do the same but then without iron cores?

Also another question. I should stay below the vDC 3.65 while (pulse) charging the cell yes?

Look at the amps on the AC side. it's syco.

Where are all these losses coming from? I will also start aiming at 3 phase delta. I want to see if that makes things stellar or not.

Last edited:
ahh no hold on for a moment here.

When I use the CV/CC (to the extend I know how to operate it) to charge a single cell to 3.65 vDC. It is the amps that start out high and then slowly drop to near 0.

So I am still no closer to making a statement about what these coils can do in practice (in theory).

So when we are looking for a universal standard. One that does not care about what ever load is leaching on the coil. Is not then the most bestest and easiest way to fall back on the earlier test in where we;

closed loop coil run it as fast as it can while not over heating. And then take the voltage when opening the coil.

Sure it is not the "correct" way of doing things but at least it is simple and can be used as a benchmark I think.

So when looking back at those early numbers I must admit that things are linear in terms of open circuit voltage in the AC side.

So I stand corrected. yet again. Most likely not the last time that will happen.

Anyway. I really would like to employ the KISS method from now on if everyone agrees.

So in order to be able to assess the limits of a coil/magnet configuration one should short the coil and then drive it up to the limit. open it up and measure the voltage.

What we then end up with is a new pseudo scientific term called the CML
Or how others in a parallel universe call it "Coil Magnet Limit" The value we end up with is expressed in Watts.

Yes I know this is a bold stance to take. But some one has to do it. So here I am taking that stance.

Of course if one has a better idea then I will reformulate again of course. But for now we have the CML

Agreed?

If we can just agree on this little fary tale CML thing then I can free my mind and get going to full scale. I mean summer is already poking it's head around the corner and my yard will not be available for much longer coming season.

Last edited:
i thought some more. and when we think about it is is nothing pseudo at all.

all we have to do is just setlle at an amp value and then we are set.

So short the coils in their PMA setup.
Ramp up until just before the breaking point and make sure things are stable.
Then measure the amps.

here you go that is our CML value expressed in amps.

I call this science not fairy tale at all.

{1} hahah I am such a dumb ass. since amps alone means nothing. we care about power. So once again I just do not know how to proceed while employing the KISS method{/1}
{2}
ahh no we care about a value to be used to compare one PMA to another. So in that sense we do not care about power.
We only care about a multi universal agreed on CML value.
no more no less.
{/2}

Last edited:
No. we need wattage as an expressed value. otherwise we will never be able to compare apples to oranges.

So the CML is an expression of power.

Short the coils in ones PMA. Let it near overheating while ramping it up. Just a bit before that while it is still stable.
Measure the amps. And also the rotation speed of the PMA.

Now let the coils loose. And then measure the voltage and also then measure the rotational speed of the PMA.

Now we have 4 data points. how can we use that to arrive at a CML?

In order to measure power you need to measure volts and amps at the same time. Open circuit voltage is not the same as voltage under load.

A set of car headlamps or other incandescent lamps is a decent load. A battery is a poor test load because the load depends on state of charge.

On the other hand, a battery (better use lead-acid not lithium) without a charge controller is pretty much constant voltage.
A light bulb is a resistor, so increased voltage results in proportional increase in current. Until it heats up and resistance increases up to 10x.

Both are usable. I think batteries could be a good load for PV panels, selected for about Vmp.
For a generator, I think power doesn't vary as much with load, so either kind could work.

Of course with resistive load, you can add more in series or parallel. I use electric radiators that way. Avoid having switch or thermostat try to interrupt DC but should be fine with alternator/generator producing AC.

So because I really did enjoy the mere 80 watts of CML. (yes gang I know I am now just hammering in pseudo scientific terms. But I need to do it else risk never getting unstuck)

I am now post curing this coil we saw earlier. So I can elevate this joy even further.

1714846749084.png

I will leave it over night at 110 C and then just accept that I have to print again the template parts. They are not going to survive this I tell you!.

The good thing will be is that I can drive up the tests far hotter. like +- 130C Since the magnets never gave a sweat and in fact the faster the magnets spin the more they are as fans and cool them self off and the coils.

Last edited:
Brothers,

We need some kind of KISS method.

Let us think on when just my basic CML method is no longer applicable.

If we can identify/ or argue against the CML as just a multi dimensional multi universal parameter. Then it is time for me to stop pushing this CML idea.

If we can not really find a good reason to not introduce a new term then...

But if in essence all we want is a measure meant that is simple to get by and also is not related to the way the PMA might be used in the wild then think the CML should become the new standard.

Just a a single value completely neutral.

Last edited:
Back