diy solar

diy solar

Buying 2 new batteries

Russ

I am considering going to a 24 volt All in One system. I currently have a Vmax Tank 125 amp battery which is $280.00. The only source I have for batteries for solar use is Amazon and what I have seen in the videos. If you know of other sources for batteries and batteries you have had good experience with please let me know. I really only know what I have learned here.

Which of the following batteries would you get if getting 2 new AGM batteries. The Vmax is just to much for 1 battery. I have seen at least the UB 121000 in Will's videos.

UB 121000 170.00
Windy Nation 180.00
Mighty Max 175.00
Your suggestions...

Last edited:
Are you a gambler? Off Amazon so more a life-cycle gamble than you're totally out if they're bogus... neither are the right size but they clock in around the mid $350s/kWh.

Just my dime but I prefer new so there is a warranty. You are going to pay a fortune to ship lead, unless they are paying shipping, and if they are bad you are just stuck. AND you won't know if they are bad for months anyway.

Update: Just realized that 80 Ah is in the ballpark if you're thinking a 50% DoD with the lead... a 1.2 kWh LA battery is really a 600 wh battery at 50% DoD (less depending on C-Rate), whereas an 80 Ah 12V lithium is 80x12x.9 = 864 wh. So, in terms of usable watts, the lithium is $362/kWh vs $283/kWh for the UB 121000 (including shipping for each battery).

... You are going to pay a fortune to ship lead, unless they are paying shipping...
The UB121000's have free shipping for $170 on Amazon.

Update2: Good point on the warranty. The Lithium's have a 7.5 year warranty. The UB121000 has a 1 year warranty.

I got the WindyNation 100Ah. Free shipping on Amazon. Got it in just a few days, packed well. I don't remember my thinking when I bought it, but think the reviews were better than the UB. I've only had it for a few months and didn't run any hard performance tests on it, so I can't tell you if it really is 100Ah (but I'm guessing it is...) or how long it will last. It was in my price range/budget for a beginning system. I took a shot...

Are you a gambler? Off Amazon so more a life-cycle gamble than you're totally out if they're bogus... neither are the right size but they clock in around the mid $350s/kWh.

Wait a minute the Lithium 80 amp is $274.00 ? I admit I know little on batteries but what's the catch when Battle Born, Lion and others are 700.00 to $1000.00 ?

Update: Just realized that 80 Ah is in the ballpark if you're thinking a 50% DoD with the lead... a 1.2 kWh LA battery is really a 600 wh battery at 50% DoD (less depending on C-Rate), whereas an 80 Ah 12V lithium is 80x12x.9 = 864 wh. So, in terms of usable watts, the lithium is $362/kWh vs $283/kWh for the UB 121000 (including shipping for each battery).

The UB121000's have free shipping for $170 on Amazon.

Update2: Good point on the warranty. The Lithium's have a 7.5 year warranty. The UB121000 has a 1 year warranty.
Shipping was included on the Vmax 125 and same on the UB121000. Lucky on that.

Just my dime but I prefer new so there is a warranty. You are going to pay a fortune to ship lead, unless they are paying shipping, and if they are bad you are just stuck. AND you won't know if they are bad for months anyway.
So these Lithiums are not new? I saw the price and couldn't believe unless they are used

OK so hands down the Lithium is the better buy and they can be discharged below 20% with little or no damage to the battery or life of battery?

OK so hands down the Lithium is the better buy and they can be discharged below 20% with little or no damage to the battery or life of battery?

Over time, yes, lithium is a better value. I bought a Ruixu 100ah for $615. People tend to toss charge cycles around like pro athletes toss millions of dollars around, but think about what 3000 charge cycles is over 8 years. In my case that takes me to age 76, so for me it was the right play. And as I mentioned, my trailer is small and only weighs 675 pounds. I don't want to add 180 pounds of lead to it. Buying that Ruixu saved me 150 pounds. But that doesn't matter if you aren't towing it around.

I bought an AGM.
I thought lithium was always better and apparently these are new. I think there is a difference between Lithium and Lithium Iron Phosphate but not sure. Thanks

Over time, yes, lithium is a better value. I bought a Ruixu 100ah for $615. People tend to toss charge cycles around like pro athletes toss millions of dollars around, but think about what 3000 charge cycles is over 8 years. In my case that takes me to age 76, so for me it was the right play. And as I mentioned, my trailer is small and only weighs 675 pounds. I don't want to add 180 pounds of lead to it. Buying that Ruixu saved me 150 pounds. But that doesn't matter if you aren't towing it around.
I am not towing around. Someone said they would buy AGM at least in this case? You agree since weight is not a factor? Just thought Lithium was always better

Their temperature range is a boon too. A radio repeater on a mountain here is solar powered and used to have a set of SLAs to run it. It was over spec'd to take into account of cold temperatures on the mountain in the winter. Despite this being the tropics icicles can form up there. The SLA batteries were replaced with a single 24v lifepo4 battery which gives more power than the set of SLAs outright, but also doesn't have cold weather sag.

Their temperature range is a boon too. A radio repeater on a mountain here is solar powered and used to have a set of SLAs to run it. It was over spec'd to take into account of cold temperatures on the mountain in the winter. Despite this being the tropics icicles can form up there. The SLA batteries were replaced with a single 24v lifepo4 battery which gives more power than the set of SLAs outright, but also doesn't have cold weather sag.

Hmmm. What brand and how much was it?

Back