diy solar

diy solar

Chargeverter alternative

Some members have used a different (but similar) power supply. I can't remember which one. But I'm sure that someone will be able to provide a link to the thread. I can't seem to find it, right now.

I never did get around to building one but others seem pleased and @upnorthandpersonal provided loads of excellent info.

I never did get around to building one but others seem pleased and @upnorthandpersonal provided loads of excellent info.
Thanks, I couldn't remember the "name".
Although I tried many versions. lol

Thanks y’all guess I’ll have to go the build route. Thanks again for the link

why would you go through all the hassle? Just purchase another AIO inverter, and feed it generator or whatever power your going to feed to the chargeverter, then you have a backup inverter in case you need one. this basically just uses an AIO inveter as a charger only. don't hook it up to loads if you don't want to.

I'd buy this for this exact purpose:

you can see how I did something similar in my video siggy

why would you go through all the hassle? Just purchase another AIO inverter, and feed it generator or whatever power your going to feed to the chargeverter, then you have a backup inverter in case you need one. this basically just uses an AIO inveter as a charger only. don't hook it up to loads if you don't want to.

I'd buy this for this exact purpose:

you can see how I did something similar in my video siggy

Strictly to avoid my money ending up in a showalter pocket.
No scientific or rational reason, I will admit ?

Strictly to avoid my money ending up in a showalter pocket.
No scientific or rational reason, I will admit ?
This is fair enough!

I just always try to think redundancy as i'm electrically off grid, more backups are always better :D

This is fair enough!

I just always try to think redundancy as i'm electrically off grid, more backups are always better :D
For sure. The specific inverter you linked though, the brightmount, and chargeverter make it a mighty challenge to stick to my nonsensical principles ?
To be honest 2 of those inverters with a 3rd in a box as a spare would be “chefs kiss”

For sure. The specific inverter you linked though, the brightmount, and chargeverter make it a mighty challenge to stick to my nonsensical principles ?
To be honest 2 of those inverters with a 3rd in a box as a spare would be “chefs kiss”

Yes I bought the growatt 5000es two years ago, it serves my purpose. But once these 6000xp inverteres have at least 12 month use under there belt under other test subjects on this forum, and it proves itself, and doesn't start a 100 page thread about all the issues it has, then i'll buy one to have a backup split phase inverter for my solark 15k, if ever it has to go for repair, at least we can limp by!

It would be interesting to see the exact use cases someone is envisioning ...

I've seen most folks buying a chargeverter because they have a non-inverter generator with higher THD output ... the chargeverter eats this kind of high-thd power, and charges the batteries directly, for a cost of about $400 or so for the chargeverter.

I'm not sure I follow the use case of "strap output of one 6000XP to another, and feed from generator" ... the manual for the 6000XP states that you must use an inverter-gen (typically more expensive than an open-frame non-inverter gen), and IIRC, the 6000XP goes for $1300 or thereabouts? Can you expand on the exact use case of the two inverters?

I always like the idea of a 2nd inverter "spare" on the shelf ... nothing wrong with that at all, given the fragility of these HF inverters ...

I was about to try my bench power supply, RD6006P with the 60V 6A, probably would be a bit slow, but would work for a one off...I just need to figure out the proper voltage to set it to.

Early on when the N/G bond was not known when passing AC or inverting on MPPs, Growatt, etc, I just bought a second used Growatt that only charged the batteries from grid, when/if needed. Primary inverter only inverted DC power. Allowed me to have a backup also for some use cases.

It would be interesting to see the exact use cases someone is envisioning ...

I always like the idea of a 2nd inverter "spare" on the shelf ... nothing wrong with that at all, given the fragility of these HF inverters ...
I have 2-champion 5500w inverter generators and 1 split phase capable 10kw champion inverter generator.
I just wanted to be able to recharge my bank in the event of poor production say during an extended winter storm. Utilizing either generator
I have no grid tie, and it “seems” easier to connect that way vs via the AC in of the inverter.

The spare inverter is a must imo when using these cheaper inverters. I don’t own the new eg4 but the 10kw SRNE

why would you go through all the hassle? Just purchase another AIO inverter, and feed it generator or whatever power your going to feed to the chargeverter, then you have a backup inverter in case you need one.
Are you replying to OP’s implicit request for things that function like a chargeverter, or the Chargenectifier thread? In the latter thread a lot of the people want a dynamically programmable/configurable charger that can be automated.

I guess with the right AIO you can send it config commands to change the charge parameters but that’s not necessarily better than these CANbus or ModBus things programmable with robust interfaces.

Are you replying to OP’s implicit request for things that function like a chargeverter, or the Chargenectifier thread? In the latter thread a lot of the people want a dynamically programmable/configurable charger that can be automated.

I guess with the right AIO you can send it config commands to change the charge parameters but that’s not necessarily better than these CANbus or ModBus things programmable with robust interfaces.

Does such a device exist? I have a RD6024, which is pretty nice, but obviously doesn't have the specs of a chargeverter (or most inverter/chargers), but I would like to find something like you mention. I scanned through that thread, but most of it appeared to be about CAN bus, which is nice, but not really necessary IMO.

I don't know what the OPs problem is with the Chargeverter (or what a showalter is), but it seems like a very nice device for a good price to me. I would just like something that supported a bit higher voltage.

Does such a device exist? I have a RD6024, which is pretty nice, but obviously doesn't have the specs of a chargeverter (or most inverter/chargers), but I would like to find something like you mention. I scanned through that thread, but most of it appeared to be about CAN bus, which is nice, but not really necessary IMO.
It seems there’s a large class of rackmount etc chargers and power supplies that are programmable via an interface. They definitely support static programming of charging parameters (voltage, current limits, curve, etc), I’m not sure about dynamically changing on the fly though.

There should be a message in that thread with the spec sheet and what’s supported.

I think the folks in that thread were excited about that exact programmable thing because it had a great price performance ratio.

I'm not sure I follow the use case of "strap output of one 6000XP to another, and feed from generator" ... the manual for the 6000XP states that you must use an inverter-gen
The power quality of the generator is probably related to being able to qualify/synchronize the inverter to it. Chargeverter probably has that disabled, any power factor correction tweaked so that it is more lenient, and removed any firmware logic that would flip out when it sees a bad generator.

“It just works”

While unless you know exactly which AIO can be configured to accept a similar range of generators, picking one at random is going to be a PITA.

On top of that the chargeverter has less than 50% of the components inside compared to an AIO and signature solar mostly passes on the savings to you.

Back