diy solar

diy solar

Combining 2 x 12v car lighter sockets into 1 20-25A battery charger?

Casper827

This is my very first post on any forum so please be kind ... lol ... I went down the Battery rabbit hole simply out of necessary and I'm glad I did! I must have watched 50+ videos from Will and even Ordered his book to help support his great content. I even built two small portable power stations and attached are the images from my prototype 2.0, long story short after lots of research and testing (added a 12v battery monitor to my starter battery), I came to the conclusion that I drive very short distances (4min, 8min, 10min) and nothing is fare enough for me to recharge my 12v starter battery on my 2014 Ford Escape Titanium. I even found out that opening y tailgate with remote uses around 5-7% battery drain. Last winter I was dead in the water even tried using my Lithium Battery Booster and nothing, I was going to run 2x 100' extension cords from my 3rd floor balcony down to the ground and around the entire parking lot (I park on the other side of the parking lot), we don't have any AC outlets. I was lucky that after 2 days, it warmed up enough and I was able to start my vehicle and switch spots with a neighbour for 1 evening and I was able to charge my 12v starter with a smart charger. I was around 12.1v (ouch!) I went from being green like Kirmet the Frog to at least have some basic knowledge. I have 2x12v sockets in my SUV and both are "always on" with that, I built the attached portable charger, I found a battery bank on Amazon that has a port with 24v out and it's connected to a Victron 75/10 solar charger and now I can charge my 12v starter twice a week if need be. Now for the out of the box thinking and for your help. We lose power in our building on a regular basis at least 10 times last year. I'm thinking of getting a few 12v 100ah batteries to at least have my fridge and freezer going. Now for the twist. I want to use my SUV as a generator so to speak. I have 2x12v sockets and each are on different fuses with a max of 180W 15A each (with 20A fuse). How can I combine both sockets together (I know I can wire them in series) in order to charge my apartment batteries while the SUV is idle? If I would charge from just one 12v socket I can't get more than a power inverter then a smart charger at 10A max. How can I combine the 2x 12v sockets into a 20A or 25A charger? With limiting the draw on each socket? I understand that the current is based on the load so is there a was to limit each draw to 12-13A? I did find the website CarGenerator and I might still go with that option (for when I am really desperate), but then I need to run an extension cord into an open window or through my firewall. Maybe simply run wires from the 12v starter through firewall and into a DC/DC charger? Any suggestion would help. I want to make sure it's safe. I'm ok with wire stripping and splicing etc. I looked at dc to dc buck converter but they tend to go 24v to 12v, I'm limited to 12v on each socket. Maybe I just run 2 wires in series to get 24v into another MPPT charger and limit the charging the 20A but I'm afraid it might pull 20A from just 1 socket and the fuse is 20A so it might blow the fuse if running at 20A for hrs. Any help would be much appreciated. FYI I'm on the 3rd floor and have a large balcony (7'x20') facing south, I will be getting some solar panels, I could probably put 4-5 panels (temporary of course), the downside is the sun is above the building around 1pm (so not a full day of sun, still better than nothing I guess). Thank you all for your help :)

Attachments

• IMG_5230.jpg
    IMG_5230.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_5413.jpg
    IMG_5413.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_5414.jpg
    IMG_5414.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_5417.PNG
    IMG_5417.PNG
    357.7 KB · Views: 3
I would try not to use the 12v cigar connectors. Notoriously weak and unreliable connection.

I would much sooner attach my own cable direct to the start battery that will get a charge from the alternator. Use a small Anderson connector to a small 300 to 500 watt inverter. A long cord up to the apartment and a small 10-15 amp battery charger.

https://powerwerx.com/anderson-power-powerpole-sb-connectors#?specs=307

Back