diy solar

diy solar

Inverter questions

wheresthesun

I am in the UK and I have got hold of a 3000W Renogy 12V inverter. However, it's an EU type. That means the sockets on it are not 3 pin UK socket but rather 2 pin EU sockets.

Is there any safety concerns with using it? I was thinking of buying an EU plug and fitting it to a 2.5mm flex cable and pluggin one end into the inverter and the other into a small garage consumer unit. From there, I can run 1 or 2 (UK) sockets to power my appliances.

Should I be worried about the L/N combination of an EU plug? In that, an EU plug can be plugged in any way around and still work. Will this cause issues, upstream at the consumer unit?

This is for a DIY motorhome I am building so there may follow a question about earth bonding next!

It can provide 240v single phase, not 240v split phase like the USA has.
You can't run 120v appliances off the inverter (unless you get an autotransformer, and know what you are doing).

Regarding UK vs EU, I think the difference between 2 and 3 pin is like the USA. The 3rd pin is ground. It is important to get the L/N wires correct.
If the appliance is expecting the ground (grounds metal case of device), then the 3rd wire is important.

DIY motorhome I am building so there may follow a question about earth bonding next!
Some Renogy inverters may not be able to be configured with neutral to earth bond.
rather 2 pin EU sockets.
The EU sockets are two pin power plus earth, the conection is in the side of the plug. Pic shows the two 'prongs' that contact the plugScreenshot_20240220-225032_Chrome~2.jpg
You can fit plug converters to the EU socket

You could run a cable to a consumer unit but a Garage type is unsuitable. The RCD and MCB must be double pole type to meet UK regulations for RV.

The protective earth hould be connected to van metal and for the RCD to work, and protect from electric shock , the power source, the inverter must be neutral to earth bonded at the inverter. If this is possible the Renogy manual may offer guidance.

If you also have shore power, hook up, then the supply must be connected to a caravan type consumer unit as discussed.

cause issues, upstream at the consumer unit?
With modern appliances there is no concern with reversed polarity, ( the caravan consumer in my link would display reversed polarity), and by using the required double pole RCD and MCB, both conductors are broken in the case of a fault or current leakage.

Do you have a model number for the Renogy inverter?

Mike

Last edited:
If you also have shore power, hook up, then the supply must be connected to a caravan type consumer unit as discussed.

Do you have a model number for the Renogy inverter?

Mike

Thanks for the reply Mike.
I grabbed the consumer unit below (6A + 32A), I guess this isn't adequate, is that correct?

Also, the Renogy inverter I have is below. Can you let me know what you think, do you recommend a different model?

thanks!

Back